engine keeps running when key is turned off

1986ro4starion

were do i start on this?, i was thinking maybe the coil being hooked up wrong? everything else turns off... i havent let it keep running long enough to see if the fuel pump turns off when turning key off dont really want to run it out of gas or start it up again knowing i cant turn it off haha

thanks

Edited by 1986ro4starion

That happened to someone a few week ago after a battery or cables were hooked up backwards but what happened was it melted the ignition switch. You can get a new one they are inexpensive, look at rockauto.com

They are fastened to the underside of the locking mechanism, just remove the plastic and you'll see it. If you unplug the switch and it shuts off then the switch is bad. The pigtail from it runs down the column.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM006067.JPG

That happened to someone a few week ago after a battery or cables were hooked up backwards but what happened was it melted the ignition switch. You can get a new one they are inexpensive, look at rockauto.com

They are fastened to the underside of the locking mechanism, just remove the plastic and you'll see it. If you unplug the switch and it shuts off then the switch is bad. The pigtail from it runs down the column.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM006067.JPG

i tried to unplug it while it was running and it kept running!!! so whats this mean that the switch is good? where should i go from here?

connect a test lamp to the coil posi terminal and look for a power scourse to it with ign key off , remember the ign coil has nothing to do with the ecu or main relay but any non factory add on's can cause a power run on , any add'd power feed after the ign swt to say the radio, or heater fans or amp would keep the ign alive with no key on