high idle and turbo overheats

cad

Ok so this might be one thing and it may be more than that but let me try to explain and bear in mind this is my first turbo'd car so ill explain this the best I can...

Ok upon start up my 89 conquest idles at 1800rpm

When you disconnect the piping from the intercooler to the throttle body it will slow down to an apropriate 900rpms

While driving the car never slows down the idle instead it increases ... put putting around town it will go from the mentioned 1800 all the way up as far as 2700 the only way to slow it down is to slip the clutch a bit at a stop and force th motor to slow down

I think its the sensor that's in the air filter but idk what its called.

The next problem is that after about an hour of driving. (Sometimes as little as 20 minutes depending on how I'm driving). It will no longer boost . And only runs in a vacuum and horibly I might ad

I'm assuming this is because of the idle never allowing the turbo to slow down like it should.

Could this be the case?

Lastly does anyone have a vacuum diagram with the egr delete ?

This has A LOT of plugged line ends and that worries me that this might be one of the reasons it has a high idle...

Thank you all in advance

Cad

I would suggest you check your codes and see what you get. this will give you and idea of where to check and help you eliminate those problems firs Is your car stock? I think the sensor you are refering to is the MAS air flow sensor in the air filter area.

Sounds like a vacuum leak either in your inter cooler piping or vacuum lines or it could be miss routed lines. Starquestgarage.com look under service manuals>1988>emissions then find the vacuum line diagram.

It can't be a vacuum leak in the intercooler lines as they are almost constantly under slight pressure or so it seems. But either way that wouldn't explain why removing the coupling betwwen the intercooler piping and the tbi the idle slows down.

I've been up and down the vacuum lines and besides it being a system that boggles my mind seems to not be leaking any. I did the brake cleaner trick and the smoke trick and did not hear or see any leaks.

I will however be checking out the diagram this week. And running new lines to clean up all the blank ends

Thank you for the starting point though

Edited by cad

I would suggest you check your codes and see what you get. this will give you and idea of where to check and help you eliminate those problems firs Is your car stock? I think the sensor you are refering to is the MAS air flow sensor in the air filter area.

I will check the codes Monday as well. And the mas air flow sensor is exactly what I was thinking. Would that throw a code?

I may have figured out the problem but not 100% sure won't know till I check codes and try it but would a bad exhaust gasket cause the o2 sensor to read lean and dump extra fuel in causing the high idle?

I absolutely love this car I drove it for work today(pizza delivery driver) BUT the high idle is killing gas milage in the city. And heating up the turbo is making it a pain to drive in a constant vacuum rather than boosting like it should

Thanks again

If you have an 87+ the only vacuum hose you need on the throttlebody is one from the forward most of the 2/3 in a row and that goes to the vacuum advance unit.

If you have an 84-6 you must have the reference hose to the pressure sensor on the firewall and its the port to the back of those 2/3 in a row and slightly higher but this also runs through a solenoid valve and the connections at the sensor must be correct and it must have an open atmosphetic reference as it did originally in the air fitler can.

There's a very short one from the throttlebody to the under side of the fuel pressure regulator that must be connected. Its only about 2" long.

You must have a reference hose from the intercooler plumbing to the wastegate actuator.

Below the throttlebody in the intake but on the left side is a port for the reference hose for the cruise/hvac actuators.

Doesn't mean the tps is bad. Did you have the ignition key on when you did this? First you'll have about 5 volts on two wires then on two you'll have nothing then on the correct two you'll have voltage that is effected by t he tps moving. I think you picked the wrong two wires.