MB076639 steering coupler

Jimbotsi

Yes I made a kit that takes the 240sx rack and bolts it on...only the steering column is welded on.

However trying to use the swivel you showed would be hard to line up perfectly straight and weld together. There are better options that are easier too.

looking at options, right now ive got a stock p/s steering box, but with the p/s lines cut and no pump. coupler is worn to metal on metal, might try window weld bodge job in the meantime.

thoughts are to buy a manual box + customized column, but still looking at options.

any real problems with running the ps box with no pump... long term? i want manual steering with a tight feel to it, worth moving to manual box?

240sx steering kit, by that do you mean swapping the rack (+ box) and customizing tie rods and all that to make it fit? sounds appealing because of all the aftermarket parts available for nissans <- also since ive got a nissan and got tabs on some parts wealthy nismaniacs

can the impact sort be welded to the metals of the coupler? ive got all sorts of impact wiggly bits - they are made of heat treated alloy steel, so if anyones tried welding them before, ill see what sort could fit. the impact socket would easily be able to take the force of manual steering, but would a properly welded join between the socket and less dense metal of the column hold up?

actually the impact looks to be better in size, just cut the fat off the bottom, up to where the spring holds the ball joint, and the top cut flat.

ive got some angle grinder skills, and some expendable fingers, dont want to chop my ONLY coupler up on some guesswork

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag24/Squrlsquash/IMG_1759_zps9c9179e2.jpg

thanks

p.s. Laod - like what you did to the 2jz intake manifold, gives me an idea of what to do with pathfinder mani for my 300zx

http://www.redz31.ne...er-manifold.jpg

I was thinking about something similar but I want to see if something from here will fit?

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005

What are the dimensions to fit in the space?

I was also was wandering if a steering column from another Mitsubishi like a Evo, 3000 GT or DSM are the same length?

We've also looked into flaming river products. My mech & I have a solution in the works that will allow for servicing in/out if needed later vs. the permanent weld. Not to tease, but I'll post more info when we get it back.

Note that we're using the RockAuto steering box with the 1" shorter shaft. This is more readily available anyhow and allows for extra room to play with in fabbing up a replacement coupler.