Wide Open throttle issue. Video inside

Em Dot

I put in a new motor this week. finally finished it, re-did a lot of vacuum lines and other bs stuff with the car. It always had the issue, but since it needed a motor, i'd figure to start with a new motor, then figure it out. When i do unplug the MAF, it revs all the way out, just revs and runs extremely rich. heres the vid. am i facing a bad MAF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R60UkLs0N6I

its sideways at the moment, waiting on the edit to save on youtube. bare with me on that lol

Edited by Em Dot

will it rev all the way if you barely give it gas? but once you go beyond 1/4-1/2 throttle it cuts like that?

sounds like the secondary injector clip

what year is the car

its an 88 Conquest. in the video, im holding the throttle at 1/4-1/2 throttle. it'll rev to 4k, then drop rpm like that. if i give it 100% it'll cut out like at the end of the video.

Once i unplugged the MAF, it revved all the way out, slightly choppy, but it revved better than when the MAF was connected.

its an 88 Conquest. in the video, im holding the throttle at 1/4-1/2 throttle. it'll rev to 4k, then drop rpm like that. if i give it 100% it'll cut out like at the end of the video.

Once i unplugged the MAF, it revved all the way out, slightly choppy, but it revved better than when the MAF was connected.

it wont if you go up the road lol

make sure all the pins in the MAF connector (on maf) are straight, i had one bend over once and didnt run right

try unplugging your secondary and plugging it back in

assuming the have a black and a green injector

EDIT

btw, is your car purple? if so, was it purchased off craigslist? i seen a purple one on craigs for a long time a while back

Edited by Skullzaflare

ohhh lol yeah i didnt try to drive it without the MAF. but id safely assume it wont run right. The pins were good, i checked that to make sure. the Injector were green and black, yes. i'll give that a shot, if not, i guess ill look into replacing it the injector. off the top of your head, do you know the CC rate on the secondary injector? Edited by Em Dot

ohhh lol yeah i didnt try to drive it without the MAF. but id safely assume it wont run right. The pins were good, i checked that to make sure. the Injector were green and black, yes. i'll give that a shot, if not, i guess ill look into replacing it the injector. off the top of your head, do you know the CC rate on the secondary injector?

replace injector clips first, far cheaper, and if your going to replace 1 injector better off to buy both new for i think 150. otherwise you are stuck with used injectors

The temp gauge shows its warmed up but the oil pressure gauge is pegged. It seems very rich and the stock boost gauge won't work with the MAF not plugged in since its based off that. Unplug the green injector to be sure you have the primary connector on the correct (black) injector. It can make a difference which spark plugs you are using. Did you check compression on this engine? Did you set the ignition timing using a timing light?

The temp gauge shows its warmed up but the oil pressure gauge is pegged. It seems very rich and the stock boost gauge won't work with the MAF not plugged in since its based off that. Unplug the green injector to be sure you have the primary connector on the correct (black) injector. It can make a difference which spark plugs you are using. Did you check compression on this engine? Did you set the ignition timing using a timing light?

yeah, i noticed the oil gauge was all the way up. im running BPR7E plugs, and timing was set 10BTDC. didnt do a compression test yet, i picked up the bottom end off a forum member from his running SHP. Car starts perfect and runs fine, just cant go WOT with it.

it always had this issue, even with the previous owner, But after working on the car, wastegate wasn't even hooked up, IC pipes were all loose, nor were manifold bolts tight so i take everything that I was told with a grain of salt.

I'll look into the injector issue. it does make a lot of sense.

Try unplugging the 2 connectors on the side of the throttle body that go to the idle motor. One of them is for the closed throttle position switch, and if it is stuck closed, the ecm thinks the throttle is closed and will shut down the injectors. I had this same issue on an 87.

this was with the gas pedal on the floor the whole time

Edited by slowquest