How many members (per the TSB) Have had their Rod Bearings changed?

Caliber308

I took my 89 in some years ago for another recall, catalytic converter replacement I believe, they wanted to do the rod bearing recall as well. But since I had recently redone the engine, I was a little skeptical about having someone poke around in there. :P

thealchemist12(milt)

SC 89001 Dated 11/01/1989.

Bill

Which one?

The original or the revision ?

SC-89-001 REVISION

DATE November, 1989

Model Starion

This bulletin supersedes SC-89-001 date June, 1989, which should be discarded.

PURPOSE

This bulletin describes a new connecting rod bearing that is available for Starions. The material

in the bearing has been changed from an aluminum alloy to copper/lead alloy.

Starions produced between July, 1987 and March, 1989 should have the aluminum alloy

connecting rod bearings replaced with ones made of copper/lead alloy.

=> MMSA is sending a letter to owners of these vehicles urging them to have the connecting

rod bearing replaced along with a complimentary oil and filter change.

A sample of the customer letter is shown on page 7

=> If you have a 1988 or 1989 Starion produced between the above dates in Dealer inventory,

the connecting rod bearings should be replaced prior to selling the vehicle.

=>If the original connecting rod bearings have already been replaced in any of the affected

Starions, you will need to replace them again with the new copper/lead bearings.

Crankshaft main bearings are not part of this service campaign.

DETAIL OF CHANGE

Beginning March, 1989 the turbocharged G54B engine in the Starion has a new style connecting

rod bearing material made of copper/lead (kelmet). Due to the engine horsepower & torque

increase that occurred in 1988, the connecting rod bearings should be replaced on 1988/1989

Starions.

Note: The older style aluminum alloy bearings are still appropriate for use in the G54B engines

found in the Truck and Montero, as well as the G54B engine found in the 1983-1987 Starions.

By law Mitsubishi had 15 years to honor the catalytic converter recall,

and 7 for the bearing recall.

They changed allot bearings at the dealerships before they were even sold.

By 1988 there were fewer numbers of Starions being made 1986-1987 where their peak years of production.

I took my 89 in some years ago for another recall, catalytic converter replacement I believe, they wanted to do the rod bearing recall as well. But since I had recently redone the engine, I was a little skeptical about having someone poke around in there. :P

thealchemist12(milt)

a very wise decision ;)

Anyone know what manafacture sells the tri-metal bearing? All that I've found are the bi-metal type.

One thing to make note of is that the manafacturing process has changed greatly over the last 20+ years. A bi-metal bearing made today would be much better that the one made 20+ years ago. Differant materials today. But I'm still a fan of the tri-metal type.