New starion owner with a problem. Help please!!

idioticmoney

Im about to purchase my first starion. I have fallen in love with these cars and want one for myself. I dont have alot of money of course so i have to buy one with a little problem so i can save some bucks. was hoping y'all could give me some help as to if it is or not worth the price and if in your opinions it could be an easy fix or if its a total loss. i talked him down to 2500. Im attaching a copy of the CL ad instead of the link so it doesnt get purchased from under neath me, lol

i have a 1986 mitsubishi starion with perfect cloth interior and 5 speed manual transmission.123k original miles since 1986 and the 88/89 engine wiring harness and 87 computer.the engine has a new alternator,battery, fuel pressure regulator,ngk spark plugs,Accel spark plug wires,hks 2.5in. exhaust that is currently removed but still part of car.wide wheels in back.turbo xs boost controller,bosch red ignition coil.new turbo(stock),new distributor cap and rotor new fuel injectors,new fuel pump,filter,fuel lines,new brake pads all the way around.the inside has a racing steering wheel and aftermarket boost gauge.The interior has no tears and is not faded.the car has tint and no cracks in the windshield.the paint is only fading on the rear hatch.i have the title to the car and the registration and inspection are up to date. The car runs but just doesn't wanna drive.when you try to drive it the car runs out fuel and starts sputtering. i am tired of messing with it because i need a car that ready to go.it has been my project car for almost a year. the car is worth more than what i am asking.its in great condition.i am selling a never been used stereo install kit with the car. you can call or text me at any time and i will get to you as soon as i can my number is (000)000-0000

The guy said this about the vehicle and the problem

I bought the car from a dealership and it wasnt running.You would turn the key and nothing would happen. so i later found out it wasnt getting fuel cause the pump was bad.so i got the tank cleaned and out a new fuel pump and it started right up but had trouble idling. i then found out my alternator was bad so i bought a new one and the car would idle.Then when you drive the car it would start sputtering.so i talked to my friend who knows alot about starions and he said to swap the harness to the 88/89 cause its the best year. 1986 was the year that both injectors worked at the same time. so the 88/89's harness makes the injectors work simotaniously.so i paid $1400 in labor just to get all that done then the car was fine and actually drove good. a few days later the same thing happend. i have no clue why it wont stay running and why it wont drive.

It could be any number of things, depending on whether it's ignition related or fuel related. If it's ignition related it could be the plugs, wires, coil, ignitor, knock sensor...If it's the fuel it could be dirty injectors, poor electrical connection on the injectors, poor connection on the pump, bad ECU, bad grounds...One of those things. I'm sure there are more potential issues but the best thing you can do is get the shop manuals and start testing stuff with a volt/ohmmeter to see that everything is in spec. Then you can start eliminating possibilities.

Sounds to me like you could chase a problem like that for awhile...for $2500 you can get you hands on very nice running car. Sounds like he has some $ tied up in the car, and is trying to get it back, I can understand that, but 2500 for a car that doesnt run is just crazy. Look through the cars for sale section and you will figure out what these cars have been and are selling for in the economy. Good luck and fill out your profile information so that some local to you members can help you in your search. Cheers,

BC_99

The vehicle runs and has been driven. He said after they switched the wiring harnesses and ecu and the fuel pump, for and injectors it ran super smooth for a couple days but after that it started sputtering again and now it just idles rough. I'm not a mechanic at all so I was hoping it is fuel related and maybe the injectors are clogged? Idk.

The problem that I see is.....You didnt do the work and really have no idea what has been done for sure other than what the seller is telling you. It could be 1 of so many small things causing the issue that you may chase it for a long time or it may just clear up on its own (probably not). It could be a vaccum leak or some mechanic that worked on it hooked up 2 vac lines wrong, fuel issue, electrical gremilns, there are tons of possibilities. Read through the FAQs and if you are set on buying that car, thats cool, but be ready for a long frustating journey to get it running reliably and hope for a short easy one. Cheers,

BC_99

You would be surprised what some people would agree to if they aren't in a real tough spot for money. I got a fully built engine for my focus for 500 bucks, a snowboard, punching bag, and a bunch of other crap that I didn't need anymore. Just don't expect him to give you the car until you're done paying for it.

And people trying to sell stuff lie, chances are it never ran right. I'm dealing with that now with my car.

make sure the Mass Air flow(MAF) lid is on tight, it could be a bad MAF too. I noticed in one of your the pic, you're not running the stock air filter box. I assume you're running a good 88-89 MAF with the ECU and Harness swap.

If you didn't get an 87+ injector set you fouled out the spark plugs and that's why it ran for awhile then started to run poorly then won't start. There could be other things wrong but you have to start some where.

Order a new set of spark plugs. NGK 7031 and as of the other day, I heard that Jegs is the only one right now with any in stock. Napa and Summit are out and sometimes you might find the other parts stores able to get them, maybe not.

If you would have asked here first you could have saved that 1400

I just talked to the guy and he doesn't know what injectors are on it. Just said that his friend ordered them for him and installed then cause he's his machanic. So that could be a very strong possibility! I can't wait to see it for myself tomorrow and I'll get some better pics for sure!

2500 for a non driveable car is a bit much. i gave 2k for mine which i drive everyday and is rust free, also is an 88tsi. def should have done some more shopping, i traded a 4wheeler even up for mine. i had about 2k in the wheeler.

Yeah I though it over and decided not to get it. But I found an 89 that is running strong. I'm getting it today. But the interior isn't as nice in the pictures but at least it runs. I should be able to add pics sometime this week. It just don't know how to do it from my phone.

Good call man. Good for you.

The interiors are easy to come by, for a good condition setup you're looking at 500 max for the whole thing...Except the front seats as usually a bit expensive. Speaking of which I have some black rear seats in great condition so let me know if you end up needing them.

I got my baby a couple of hrs ago and the interior was not as bad as I thought. The back seats are in great shape but the fronts are horrible. If anyone had a nice tan leather ones or one and maybe a used racing seat that would be helpful and a center consol from the radio area to the seatbelt emergency release thing that would be great!!!!