Electrical Issue (power only to interior lights)

freetoskate124

I was getting my Starion ready to run and ran into a problem. As the battery was being installed, something sparked as the power and ground wires were connected. Now the only things that get power are the interior lights (the dome light and the lights on the insides of the doors). There is no power to the ignition switch, so no door dinger, headlights, tail lights, or starter.

I'm not too sure what the problem is, but the lack of power to the ignition switch leads me to believe its those fusible links. I already checked mine out (they look pretty nasty, so I ordered new ones from Dad) but is there anything else I should try looking at in the meantime? (more specifically any relays or fuses that control the power to the ignition)

O yeah, all the wiring is out of an 89, while the body is an 87. I don't think it really makes that big of a difference though.

Thanks!

Edited by freetoskate124

Check to make sure the new links are connected solid. Use a meter to check. Then check fuses, again make sure of good, solid connections. Won't hurt to meter the circuit to the ignition switch. Including grounds. Should find the problem easily.

The link HOLDER, that black plastic box, you push the links in and the link end is new and you cleaned the part it connects to but did you look at the connector where the link holder plugs into the wiring harness? Its just a nasty or worse and its tucked under the battery tray or behind that tin panel. The pigtail from it is about 6" long, follow it down and clean that up too.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

After digging around a little I found that the ground behind the instrument cluster wasn't getting good ground. I cleaned it up and reconnected it and then put everything back together. I turned the key on and the warning lights on the cluster lit up. However I soon smelled something burning and found that I fried a wire. I mistakenly labeled the wire :blink: (which I think is a ground) positive and hooked it up to the ignition coil. What does that wire ground if I did fry it? Thanks!

post-13000-0-41115200-1314469794_thumb.jpg

nevermind I found the list of stuff that grounds from that wire (ground #9).

GROUND #9 (Body Ground, also tied in with ground 11, apron bolt)

Grounds:

Electronic Spark Control Igniter:

ECI Control Unit: pin # 1 SHEILDED GROUND & # 53 DIRECT GROUND to the ECI

Ignition Coil Ground Side (-) SHEILDED GROUND

Dist. signal generator: SHIELDED GROUND

Detonation sensor: SHIELDED GROUND

(found on starquest.i-x.net)

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on using a multi meter to check stuff like this please? I really have no idea how to use mine for anything other than checking continuity! :unsure:

Edited by freetoskate124

I did some more digging around and followed that fried wire to where it gets spliced onto what I think is the ECI ground. The wire past that looks ok, so could I replace the part of the wire that ends with the eyelet? I assume I should still check everything connected to that ground?

post-13000-0-06968700-1314474768_thumb.jpg