PLX Devices is taking pre-orderd for a $200 wideband O2 and guage kit

2xTSi

http://www.plxdevices.com/wideband.php

Mods.. feel free to move if you feel you need too... I posted it here but it isn't something I'm selling. I do not work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with PLX... just endorsing thru experience because I feel it is a great deal for anyone wanting to tune a turbo'd car..

If you are currently looking for a wideband O2 and guage setup... This new one from PLX is really hard to beat. They are taking pre-orders right now at $200, for delivery on Oct 3rd. If you have ever priced a GOOD wideband monitoring kit.. you know this is a very fair price

I can't say enough about their products. In my DSM, I currently have their 60mm multi-guage, wideband O2 AFR, EGT, AIT, and boost/vacuum sensors.... ALL hooked into 1 guage 60mm LCD guage face!!

I was gonna write up some stuff to describe this, but it's gonna explain itself if you just read the description:

DESCRIPTION:

The PLX Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Module accurately measures the precise air fuel ratio (AFR) of any internal combustion engine. Up to 16 Sensor Modules can be daisy chained together from the PLX iMFD line for modular tuning. This Sensor Module can also be used as a stand alone unit capable of interfacing with third party hardware through the analog outputs. The SM-AFR works with gasoline, biodiesel, ethanol, methanol, E85, LPG, and CNG. Advanced soft start technology prolongs the O2 sensor life.

The DM-6 Multi Gauge Display Module is an OLED automotive gauge designed to display the measured values from your PLX Sensor Modules. Measuring only 0.7" (18 mm) thin, it can be mounted virtually anywhere. The DM-6 Multi Gauge is designed to fit into most aftermarket 2 1/16" (52 mm) cups, and can be mounted for seamless integration into your vehicle. Utilizing new touch screen sense technology, buttons are a thing of the past. Navigate your gauge and menus with ease by touching the bezel of the gauge. An ideal accessory for your PLX Sensor Modules. Connect to a Multi Gauge with OBD II for even more information than any standard gauge.

True, the Uego goes for about $160-$200 on the interwebs... and even uses the same Bosch O2 sensor...but it is a standalone guage, where as the PLX is a multi- input guage..To me that puts it head and shoulders above the UEGO. You can have as many as 16 sensors daisychained into 1 guage, set up warning points on each of them so they appear in view immediately upon hitting the set threshold. Also, you can buy a data cable from PLX for $69, plug it into the guage face, then into a PC and bam... you are logging all your inputs in realtime via their free software: http://www.plxdevice...datalogger.html

If you prefer not to have a cockpit full of guages to keep an eye on, this is a great alternative.

Edited by 2xTSi

It looks like a good idea, but also looks poorly executed

from how it looks... you buy 1 gauge for 200$ for the wideband

THEN you have to buy modules at 99$ - 130$ that look like little bibles that you have to hide all over your car, which looks to me like it takes up more room than regular gauges would, and cost about the same or more?

I mean if I'm wrong correct me, but that's how it looks.

Actually the sensor boxes are about the size of a small matchbox, and each one is designed to snap in place with the others, so you can plan to place them all in 1 location..in my case, against the firewall inside the car behind the center console so they are easy to reach. They hardly take up any space at all and allow you to centralize your wiring MUCH better than if you were runnin multiple guages. With this..each guage plugs into the next with what looks alot like a mini-headphone jack cable, then you run 1 cable up to the guage face from the last sensor in the series and you are done!

Motocam.. The one you linked to is almost identical to the AEM UEGO in design, but costs about $30-$40 more than the UEGO. (I assume this is because the Innovative unit includes a datacable for datalogging)

The biggest difference and advantage of the PLX system that you have the ability to consolidate MULTIPLE sensors (A/F, EGT, Boost/Vac, AIT, Oil Pressure, Fluid temp, etc) into 1 guage display. This system allows for monitoring as well as datalogging. The system can be configured for threshhold monitoring so that when a set warning alert for any sensor gets tripped, that sensor's readings will instantly appear, overriding your currently viewed sensor to alert you.

It really just comes down to personal taste.. all these guages from different companies do the same thing.. they monitor vital systems so that you can tell whether they are functioning propery or not.

For my personal taste, I prefer 1 guage to look at versus a cockpit full of guages that force me to look around the cabin to read, which takes my eyes off the road. I've been involved in SCCA AutoX for 20 years now... the more time I spend looking at the course and less time I spend looking sweeping my eyes across multiple guages, the better.

• 2 weeks later...
Just wanted to add, PLX makes good stuff. I got one of their origional M300 setups about 10 years ago, it still works great. It was quite advanced at the time, and yet inexpensive. Don't let the price fool you, this is a quality product. PLX has always been an innovator of such systems, and their stuff lasts.