87 to 88/89 ECU differences ... checking my understanding

techboy

I just got done reading the FAQ section on differences between the 87 and 88/89 ECU and it seems the only difference is that the 88/89's can tolerate more boost (and the screws holes are different). Is that correct, nothing else?

Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to determine if there's a problem w/ my 88 ECU. I pulled an 87 ECU from a parts car today and I want to try and swap it in and see if it runs any better ... just want to make sure I'm not introducing more havoc by installing an older ECU before I do it.

Thanks.

The board is different in appearane, but they are functionaly the same. There are theories that the fuel map was improved in 88, but it's never been proven and few can attest to realizing any other benifits from the swap, other than the elimination of the 87's fuel cut.

Ok, cool. Thank you sir.

I'm really hoping to plug this thing in tomorrow and solve some problems. If not, we're down to the harness/wires and that's not going to be nearly as easy to pinpoint.

you may have better luck saying what the car is doing , every one jumps to the asumption that it's always the ecu but that is seldom the problem

now saying that i just replace'd the ecm on my 88 S10 but only after doing a great many tests and sensor tests , and it trun'd out the ecm was bad,, that that is seldom the case