engine vibration between 1500-1800rpm

monty87

I have a moderate vibration only between 1100-1800rpm then smooths out after 1800rpm. Seems to be more noticeable in neutrel when i slightly rev the engine.

My question is, if the harmonic balancer was going out, would the vibration always be there and just get worse with rpm?

Your crank pulley solid? If its going out you should be able to see it wobble at idle. Does it change with the clutch pushed in? Raider uses a hydraulic clutch, to be sure your pedal linkage isn't always pushing on the thrust bearing, see if you can push the slave rod into the slave cylinder -just mash on the fork don't move the pedal. That will tell you that the system will self adjust and its not leaving pressure on the throw out bearing that wears out the thrust bearing.

I have a moderate vibration only between 1100-1800rpm then smooths out after 1800rpm. Seems to be more noticeable in neutrel when i slightly rev the engine.

My question is, if the harmonic balancer was going out, would the vibration always be there and just get worse with rpm?

Hi there Indiana, My Montero is a 4 speed Auto, its a preety good vibtation you can feel it on the intake when you rev at the Rpms I was talking about.

I will check to see if the harmonic balancer is solid or not. If I remember right it was

but its been a while. If it is else should I look for?

Ok so I checked the harmonic balancer and it seems to be a solid unit. I drove it this morning in the RPM range and is not as bad from when its off a load in the drive way. The truck pulls really good and seems to run very smooth down the road and one the freeway, the oil pressure is good also.

I did notice its seems to come from the top of the engine ill check tonight and see if somthing might have come loose?

Edited by monty87

Ok so I checked the harmonic balancer and it seems to be a solid unit. I drove it this morning in the RPM range and is not as bad from when its off a load in the drive way. The truck pulls really good and seems to run very smooth down the road and one the freeway, the oil pressure is good also.

I did notice its seems to come from the top of the engine ill check tonight and see if somthing might have come loose?

Worn Motor mounts?

Bill

Worn Motor mounts?

Bill

Hi Bill, I did check them as well, I looked at the transmission mounts too, there new but I was thinking I could have ripped one.

Im puzzled by this the motor runs really strong but it just has this annoying vibration in that RPM range, I did leave out one thing

I have removed the balance shafts when I re ringed the motor, But this seems to have just started in the last week or so.

Edited by monty87

Hi Bill, it just has this annoying vibration in that RPM range,

I have removed the balance shafts when I re ringed the motor

Bingo....You may have just answered your own question.When the balance shafts are removed you will experience more vibration (some call it harmonics) especially in the shifter.If it doesn't do it on cruise, that might be what is happening.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Bingo....You may have just answered your own question.When the balance shafts are removed you will experience more vibration (some call it harmonics) especially in the shifter.If it doesn't do it on cruise, that might be what is happening.

Bill

It seems to be more noticeable now then when I first put the motor in, pretty much the last few weeks.

Im just worried im going to hurt somthing, this motor never sees above 5000 rpms do to the trails and 4 wheeling.

is there anything else I chould check for just to be sure?

Edited by monty87

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to be more noticeable now then when I first put the motor in, pretty much the last few weeks.

Im just worried im going to hurt somthing, this motor never sees above 5000 rpms do to the trails and 4 wheeling.

is there anything else I chould check for just to be sure?

If you checked all the engine,trans and differencial mounts and your oil pressure is fine..I can't think of anything else. I'll bet it is the Balance Shaft removal that is causing the harmonics.When you start out in gear, does the shifter knob vibrate more with increased RPMS?

Bill

Did you put the bushing in the end of the crankshaft to center the torque convertor?

I don't remember how your turbo conversion was done but you need that bushing or you'll burn up your pump and ruin the torque convertor its spinning in an orbital pattern instead of just rotating.

There's a guy on here that did this two times and ate two transmissions then swapped to a manual.

Edited by Indiana