Strange miss under load

MetalRob

Alright, so I picked up my 88 ESi-R a few months back & drove it 130 miles before parking it for the winter. When my friend & I were driving it back we had noticed that when you get into it at around 4100-4200 rpm there is a slight hiccup. It stumbles slightly but than pushes right on as if nothing happened. Compression was checked after bringing it back & that checked out fine. It had Champion plugs in good shape but were replaced with the NGKs, wires look good & coil is strong. The primary injector was leaking really bad & both have since been replaced. We can't really seem to pinpoint what else it could be, in neutral it revs up to redline with no hiccups & if we slowly roll into it past 4200 nothing happens, only when getting into it. Any ideas? Edited by MetalRob

Have you checked the vacuum advance? Get a mighty vac and put a vacuum on it and see if it holds.

Yep, that'd be my guess also. If the vac advance IS good, pull the cap and see if the rotor "snaps" back quickly when you rotate it by hand or if its slow to move.

mm

• 1 month later...
Hey guys thought I'd follow up with the findings. I haven't had much time to get to the car but I've been taking advantage of my 3 day weekend. I ended up picking up a new distributor cap & rotor since there was a bit of oil residue around the cap. The contact on the rotor wasn't in too bad of shape & seemed to be working fine but I ended up replacing them anyhow. Well, when I removed the #4 wire I found that the connector was pushed back into the boot & I had to tweak it with some pliers to get it back where it should have been. I took it out for a quick run & no more miss in the high rpm range & it idles much better now as well. I ordered a set of NGK wires to replace the Beldens that are on there now & that should smooth things out some more.