Suzuki Samurai. G54B swap???

Cobalt60

I just bought a Suzuki Samurai that is in almost perfect condition. Not so sure the 1.3L motor is going to keep me exactly happy. Anyone think a G54B would be an easy swap? I could even start out with a carb and no turbo. Even if its only like 110hp, its still a hell of a lot more than the 65hp it has now. I was thinking maybe a Montero transfer case and transmission could make this happen. Then all I have to worry about is lining everything up and mounting, I think. Well, prly would have some clearance issues I guess.

Thoughts?

-Chris P

I got a couple of sammis and was thinkin the same thing....LOL its twice the displacement! the samurais have a divorced transfercase so you could put any tranny u want in front of it you would just have to mod the little driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the transfercase. or just make an adapter plate for the sammy trans

that was the reason I built the very first bellhousing, the guy used the 4G63 ( not the G54b) engine in samuri using a toyota 'W' series 4wd gearbox , you could use the wide block R 154 bellhousing to bolt the G54b to the R 151 4wd toyota trans

LOL its twice the displacement!...you would just have to mod the little driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the transfercase

Yup, and throw a turbo on it and its borderline irresponsible.

that was the reason I built the very first bellhousing, ... you could use the wide block R 154 bellhousing to bolt the G54b to the R 151 4wd toyota trans

Wow, so that really solves quite a bit of work. Sounds like engine mounts and tranny mounts is all I need! prly not so simple...

Bill, can you point me in the direction of that 4G63 Samurai?

I used to hang at a shop that did all types of mods including on some Samurais, they were popular like the old corollas are. These guys had a turbo 13B rotary in one that was slammed, it was the funnest thing to drive ever. Like a giant go-kart.

Yup, and throw a turbo on it and its borderline irresponsible.

Wow, so that really solves quite a bit of work. Sounds like engine mounts and tranny mounts is all I need! prly not so simple...

Bill, can you point me in the direction of that 4G63 Samurai?

I have lost touch with Wayne since then and he never did use my housing but this was the project that got me involved

http://www.stinkyfab.com/rotozuk.html