what is the function of this?

allen405

The shiney part with the hose going to it and the hose goes in to the bottom of the accordian hose?

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/allen405/0430111814.jpg

Its on 88-89 cars. Its the fine tuning of the AFR at idle. There's a big screw in there and after its where they want it for that particular car they mash the side of it with a punch so you can't mess with it. In DSM MAFs they have a big screw in the bypass tube and when they get it adjusted they seal it up with glue. AFR at idle is supposed to be 13.0 for a stock setup. I guess before they did that the AFR were too wide spread and made too many questions come up at dealer and emissions testing facilities so they had to get better control of it.

It's some kind of air bleeder valve or something. It's on the 88 air cans and intake accordian hose. I think its meant for some kind of idle function.

I had an '88 air can on my '87 and just plugged up the hose.

Edited by louswheel01

It sounds important then. Why do the boots that mookeh sell eliminate it then? Do you have to do the GM MAF thing if you are eliminating that?

I plugged it up. Saw no difference.

every repalcement air boot i have ever seen came as the 87 to 89 version BUT the bypass port was not open,, you had to cut the hole out in order to use the by pass hose,, problem a great many guys cut the hose connection part off the new style air boot cause they fail'd to understand the importance of it and the act of cuting it make sure is would not fit an 87 -89 system