Need Some much needed Advice

questygirl

ok...as you can tell from my pics my car really needs some parts repainted...so I am a beginner painter...I cannot seem to figure out what is the best brand of paint I want to use...keeping my car same factory color...and secondly...some say you should add a flex agent on the whole car/or just on the airdamn/bumber and the spoiler...What do you all think???

Use a good Poly-Urethane paint (it has some elasticity to resist rock chips) with a intergraded clearcoat. Ditzler and Du Pont are good choices.I've used them both with excellent results over the years.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I will totally look into where I can find those paints around here...it has been a b*tch...finding people to mix paint around here LOL.Thanks For the Tip!! Do you know anywhere online that might have those types of paint...I went to three Napas here and they will not mix paint they want me to drive an hour to the closet place. Edited by questygirl

I will totally look into where I can find those paints around here...it has been a b*tch...finding people to mix paint around here LOL.Thanks For the Tip!! Do you know anywhere online that might have those types of paint...I went to three Napas here and they will not mix paint they want me to drive an hour to the closet place.

You will be better off going that way. They will be able to tell you anything you want to know,and will give you the teck sheets(as far as mixing the paint). And if you have a question later, you can call em.

i bought all my paint stuff from summit racing. They have urethane single stage (included clear coat) as well as two stage (thats what i went with)..

Single stage is a lot more forgiving from what I understand and would probably be your best bet.

When we repainted my pickup truck we went with Sherwin Williams paint to color match the factory color and it was spot on (but wasn't too cheap either as we went with the premium line of paint they offered)

Edited by Frenchi934

I have a 21 chapter online body/paint/detailing manual I did up a while back. You may want to check it out (you have to join to see it tho)....

body/paint manual

Deffinately use a good urethane to do it as those have flexibility built into them. Avoid acrylics.

Since you got your paint already I guess it doesn't matter, but I get lots of my paint and other body materials from www.tcpglobal.com. Going thru their auto color library you can get paint mixed to any factory code back to like 1924. They even offer the paint codes from higher end cars like Lambo and Ferrari. With most of their OEM mixes, you can get a gallon of base, gallon of quality clear and all the additives and such for about $400 shipped to your door. If you choose one of their 144 aftermarket colors (non OEM code) you can get those kits shipped for about $300.

Those are for their lesser expensive paints. They also carry PPG and House Of Kolor too for prices cheaper than any local auto paint supplier you may go to.

Even their "cheaper" paint is as good or better than the NAPA stuff. I used to use the NAPA stuff a lot, but this stuff lasts longer, is easier to spray, and is even cheaper than NAPA, usually.

Since you bought your paint already, then it's not much help, but you may want to check them out for any other materials you may need for sanding and polishing your finish. I buy 95% of my stuff from them. The only time I don't get stuff from them is if I need something sooner than the 1-2 weeks it takes for my stuff to get here from them. All of their stuff is about the cheapest you'll find it, on the net, which is WAY cheaper than getting your supplies from a local auto paint supply place or even the car parts stores.