New Ohio quest owner

xXEliteTuningXx

Hey guys I'm Matt, I just took possession of two conquest tsi's one is a 87 the other is a 88. I had a chance to own one 11 years ago when I was 17 , but I didnt know what they were. A buddy owned these and he lost interest in them so I made him an offer and now they reside in my driveway. My goal is to simply get them running again, so I'm currently putting them back together. Anyway here's a couple pics

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/xXEliteTuningXx/IMG_20110427_163353.jpg

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/xXEliteTuningXx/IMG_20110427_163423.jpg

And here is the 87 parts car

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/xXEliteTuningXx/IMG_20110427_163503.jpg

The 87 has a slightly better body however it has some front end frame damage. Both cars have black leather and 5spd, non sunroof.

anyway lots of great info on this site so far and hopefully I can make it out to some events.

Yeah it's too bad the 88 is rusted out like that. Well i prefer the color black anyhow so I would just start swaping the good parts out to the black car. I guess bacl primer is going to have to do for now to make things look good. Make sure you swap the 88 ecu and replace that 87...easy upgrade there lol. It shouldn't be too long before you have one running.

Glad to see you got these cars and your going to get them back on the road. I have a black 87 that i bought from back home in Illinois so it has a lot of rust in some areas but is a great parts car. Let me know if you need any parts and good luck with your build.

Maybe a stupid question but is the black box in front of the TB part of the egr system? If so can it just be deleted? The tube that comes out of the downpipe and goes around the back of the engine is bad.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz210/xXEliteTuningXx/downsized950129011227a.jpg

Another question... I got the battery charged up and have been testing things, so far the windows are the only thing not working. I read thru the faq and have

checked fusible links - seem ok

tried the window switch out of my 87

tried the relays out of my 87

So next I'm going to take one of my switches apart to clean it.

If that doesn't work is the etac the same from 87-88?

Thanks in advance, Matt

did you replace the fuse in the fuse box thats under the dash.

I pulled them out one by one and none of them are bad, And if you use the tester in the center they all light up...

I will make sure to check them again though, its better two check twice anyway

Edited by xXEliteTuningXx

Okay well today I was messing around a little more.

I let the quest get up to full operating temp, and it has a coolant leak on the back of the engine. I believe it is coming from the water pipe that the heater core ties into.

Can I cap this pipe off on each side of the engine for now? Or is it vital to coolant circulation?

Ok so I'm putting a water pump on today. And while I'm waiting on the permatex to dry I start checking the windows out again. joey_crandall suggested a fuse under dash but I had already checked and they were fine. Well after he mentioned it I decided to check a second time. I noticed there was no fuse for the power antenna this time, So I put a 15 amp fuse in and now my power windows work perfect. So big thumbs up to Joey for leading me to the correct place.

Im in van wert if you need anything let me know.

I am not talking parts......but do have them too..lol....I am just here to help keep these cars on the road.

I have been into these for several years and can help you with just about anything that needs fixed.

van wert is past lima toward ft. wayne im sure youve been here.

pm me if you need something

Edited by freebird

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since I have been online, I finally have the 88 running smoothly. I got to drive it for about a week and the head gasket started leaking. So it got parked until I had time to work on it.

I talked to the P/O about how much boost he was pushing thru it, He informed me he had the wastegate unhooked because he wanted it to be faster.....claims it never went over 14-15psi.

So rather than rebuild an engine I didn't know about internally, I decided to pull the good engine from the parts car and drop that in. Good news is the parts car had a brand new clutch in it.

The 88 engine is now parked in the garage waiting to be torn down.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I live around the Lima/Findlay area. I would fix the black one but it has front frame damage.

i can give you a whole front end if u really wanna restore the black one to anything to help a fellow conquest owner idk what would be required but u could switch them

Ok so I'm putting a water pump on today. And while I'm waiting on the permatex to dry I start checking the windows out again. joey_crandall suggested a fuse under dash but I had already checked and they were fine. Well after he mentioned it I decided to check a second time. I noticed there was no fuse for the power antenna this time, So I put a 15 amp fuse in and now my power windows work perfect. So big thumbs up to Joey for leading me to the correct place.

I'm also a bit late. I had this same issue a while back, had me stumped for WEEKS.

And if the wastegate was unhooked, and it was reading 14-15psi on the factory gauge... you don't want to know how high it really was. The factory gauge approximates through a computer. Its WAY off after about 7psi, and I even find mine off in vacuum. I would reccomend purchasing another 12A to keep around as a spare. Unless theres a good one on the other SQ.

Cheers,

James

Yea I know what your saying blue, the factory gauge reads 7 when I'm at ten on my aftermarket gauge...The hot side on my 12a is cracked so I need to pick up a spare soon...

PM me, I have one you can just about have.