Bypass an external volt regulator with new alt

Edde

Hey folks, sorry to post this on BS but time is rather critical here. I need to mount a 3 wire alternator on a small diesel motor (tractor) that uses an external regulator. Can someone carefully explain to me what to do?

I know I need a beefy wire from the charging post back to the battery with a fusible linky - of what size I don't know. It's only a 35 amp alt. Beyond that there's something about jumping this connection also to one of the other alt terminals. (?) And I assume a need to get the external regulator out of the loop.

Simple right? Halp! :)

if its a gm style 3 wire,,,,one for charging and the two on the side. one is for a idiot light and the other to excite it. just do a jumper from the big charging post to one the one that excites it. i forget which one does but it wont hurt if you do it wrong it just wont charge. you may have to rev the motor a little to make it start charging. and yes run a 10guage wire if you got it, from the back of the post to the battery direct. check with a volt/ohm meter if ya got one. btw gm's are internally regulated just in-case you weren't too sure. Edited by wrngwae

A better way to do it would be to run the excite wire to the coil + or ignition switch. Just jumpering to the bat positive will drain the batt when it's off.

Oh and you don't need a fuseable link or any other fuse. Just run the charging terminal directly to the batt +

A better way to do it would be to run the excite wire to the coil + or ignition switch. Just jumpering to the bat positive will drain the batt when it's off.

Oh and you don't need a fuseable link or any other fuse. Just run the charging terminal directly to the batt +

your right, i put mine on my diesel tractor,,,no coil and didnt want to dink around to find the key switch +,lol

• 2 weeks later...

Update is that the alt was actually working. My DVM says it's putting out 20+ volts AC. So either the regulator is toast or there's a broken wire/short. Long story but this is close to an hour from me and weather has been a factor in not chasing this on the spot.

The alt we had with us might have been made to fit but we decided it ought to be cheaper to find a suitable reg instead. The alt bumped into the intake manifold so grinding something was going to be required at the very least. It might have also required altering a mounting hole, I'm not certain.

I've read what forums I can on this tractor model but there isn't much, almost nada because it's a Japanese maker Massey Ferguson - long out of business. One guy was using a Harley regulator but the post was years old and no specific info on it.

Question is... what do I need to know in order to locate a different regulator? Is it just that it's 12v output and can be mounted effectively?