Power steering line question?

gooch

Has anyone ever eliminated the metal line that runs behind the bumper? I think its just a cooling line. Any problems? Do I need to run a cooler?

Thanks

Gooch

Has anyone ever eliminated the metal line that runs behind the bumper? I think its just a cooling line. Any problems? Do I need to run a cooler?

Thanks

Gooch

The Starion/Conquest has an oil cooler but nothing for the power steering..

In our TSi which we run @ the Willow Springs road course out by Rosemont, we installed a Starion/Conquest radiator for an auto transmisson with a lower end cooler and fabricated some custom lines.. Also be sure to use a high temp fluid such as that marketed by Red Line..

Makes a big difference in keeping the rite feel of the steering...

Just my $0.02... ;)

The Starion/Conquest has an oil cooler but nothing for the power steering..

Just my $-0.02... :wacko:

Wrong again. The loop in front of the intercooler IS the power steering cooler.

Section 19 page 36 item #5 In the FSM

The Starion/Conquest has an oil cooler, power steering cooling line, low mount a/c cooler and where applicable, a trans cooler.

In our TSi someone else runs @ the Willow Springs road course out by Rosemont, we installed a Starion/Conquest radiator for an auto transmisson with a lower end cooler and fabricated some custom lines.. Also be sure to use a high temp fluid such as that marketed by Red Line..

Makes a big difference in keeping the rite feel of the steering...

Just my $0.02... ;)

clarification

Wrong again. The loop in front of the intercooler IS the power steering cooler.

Section 19 page 36 item #5 In the FSM

Again you are incorrect..

The mentioned loop was deleted as being inadequate, check the Tech Bulletins for more info. If one wants to bring the power steering fluid (Dextron) temperature down it is best to use an larger external cooler that includes a heat sink. A good upgrade component is the Derale # 13222, available from Summit. Our preference when we replaced the radiator with an aluminum one from Griffin was to plumb new lines through the bottom core auto trans cooler, this is much cleaner and works especially well if running on oversize turbo which can raise the temperature significantly on the passenger side..

You have mentioned a number of times to check the FSM and I have told you that there are multiple errors within the FSM. For example, my 87 TSI which i bought new was assembled in March 87 and according to the FSM a 225m/m clutch was used (see page 6-2 in the FSM). However when we upgraded the clutch to a Centerforce we found that TSi actually had a 240m/m clutch installed from the factory... :huh:

What you failed to understand is that Mitsubishi designed and built our cars but at that time Chrysler sold 10x the number of cars as Mitsubishi as they had very few dealers. And the majority of technical engineering/reliability feedback issues came from Chrysler, and quite frequently the actual component/specification change was implemented into production before any disclosure was made in the FSM. The FSM is a great reference but before quoting it as gospel, one should double check first.

There are several other examples of component/specification changes in the throttle body, injectors, turbo , ECU and ignition system. A Chrysler district manager told me that many of these were a result of an ongoing feud between Chrysler/Mitsubishi and the EPA as the Conquest(& Starions) had multiple recalls due to EPA issues..

If you have other technical questions needing clarification, PM so we don't use the site's bandwidth for this discussion.

Note that I have all of the FSMs, tech bulletins and even the JW Miller tech manuals which were only available to factory techs..

Thanks.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Again you are incorrect..

The mentioned loop was deleted as being inadequate, check the Tech Bulletins for more info. If one wants to bring the power steering fluid (Dextron) temperature down it is best to use an larger external cooler that includes a heat sink. A good upgrade component is the Derale # 13222, available from Summit. Our preference when we replaced the radiator with an aluminum one from Griffin was to plumb new lines through the bottom core auto trans cooler, this is much cleaner and works especially well if running on oversize turbo which can raise the temperature significantly on the passenger side..

You have mentioned a number of times to check the FSM and I have told you that there are multiple errors within the FSM. For example, my 87 TSI which i bought new was assembled in March 87 and according to the FSM a 225m/m clutch was used (see page 6-2 in the FSM). However when we upgraded the clutch to a Centerforce we found that TSi actually had a 240m/m clutch installed from the factory... :huh:

What you failed to understand is that Mitsubishi designed and built our cars but at that time Chrysler sold 10x the number of cars as Mitsubishi as they had very few dealers. And the majority of technical engineering/reliability feedback issues came from Chrysler, and quite frequently the actual component/specification change was implemented into production before any disclosure was made in the FSM. The FSM is a great reference but before quoting it as gospel, one should double check first.

There are several other examples of component/specification changes in the throttle body, injectors, turbo , ECU and ignition system. A Chrysler district manager told me that many of these were a result of an ongoing feud between Chrysler/Mitsubishi and the EPA as the Conquest(& Starions) had multiple recalls due to EPA issues..

If you have other technical questions needing clarification, PM so we don't use the site's bandwidth for this discussion.

Note that I have all of the FSMs, tech bulletins and even the JW Miller tech manuals which were only available to factory techs..

Thanks.

Just my $0.02... ;)

Didn't you say there was no power steering cooler from the factory? Now you are saying it is inadequate after I pointed out they did come with one. You do seem to backpedal alot. Get your facts straight before posting and people wont call you on it.

Many cars only have a tube for the PS cooler. That is perfectly fine. There is such a thing as overcooling the fluid.

Maybe instead of bashing the FSM you should learn more about these cars before you continue posting incorrect information.

Edited by ucw458

Thank you for explanation.

Now I understand what you were trying to explain to me.

I apologize for my lack of intelligence and comprehension as I only went as far as the 4th grade. My previous car was a Yugo and I thought this was an awesome high performance vehicle..

I am a little slow in learning about cars but greatly appreciate your full and patient explanations.

No problem..

Any time.. :rolleyes:

Thank you for explanation.

Now I understand what you were trying to explain to me.

I apologize for my lack of intelligence and comprehension as I only went as far as the 4th grade. My previous car was a Yugo and I thought this was an awesome high performance vehicle..

I am a little slow in learning about cars but greatly appreciate your full and patient explanations.

No problem..

Any time.. :rolleyes:

Wow. That's a pretty mature stance you have there. It's been my experience that anyone who resorts to this in an argument is pretty much admitting defeat, mostly because they were blowing smoke up the ol' chocolate whizway.

While I am not doubting you (well, yes I am) on what you say, you will be needing to produce proof FOR ALL TO SEE. In other words, please upload scans of said TSB stating this, because I have too have owned several (more than ten) of varying years, and EVERY car has had the power steering cooling loop.

Tim