EGT instaal location question

franco101

Hi all. i am looking to purchase and install an EGT guage and sensor on my mpi car. Being that I cannot find any local tuning shop to take on my mpi with the sds system, it will be up to me to tune. I have a wideband that I have been tuning with the help from the mpi board and car runs pretty good.

However I know it can run much much better. My sds system also allows me to adjust timing from the controller. Here is where i am concerned. From what I have been reading, timing as well as a/f readings have an impact on egt's. Too much or to little can have you run very high exhaust temps and can cause engine failure. ok here is my question, where to actually mount sensor? In exhaust manifold, or in downpipe after the turbo? In manifold, the temps should be consistent with whats going on inside engine, and after the turbo, temps can vary dependng on load. For anyone who uses an egt, where did you put yours and why?

Franco

Always in the manifold. Generally you want to put in on the hottest runner. I'm a bit newer to these cars myself, so I'm not sure which one that is, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Always in the manifold. Generally you want to put in on the hottest runner. I'm a bit newer to these cars myself, so I'm not sure which one that is, but I'm sure someone here knows.

Or one in each runner.

I have one in my colector but that is just the way my manifold was made.

I looked at the manifold today. I can put it in the #4 runner easily without being in the way of the heat shields or obstructing airflow. #3 confuses me a bit. The probe is something like 2in. long it appears and the mani is short from the top or bottom.

franco