Dropped Valve

Shane Sullivan

I am so sick of doing s*** to this car. On my way home tonight got into boost for a second or two then no power and was making a weird noise. Finally got it started back up and the most god awful ticking you have ever heard coming from the head. Tow it to my friends shop and pull the valve cover off and the valve on cylinder 3 intake side is stuck open. Head had 731.6 miles on it. Why the hell did it drop a valve? Poor machine work? I am going to see the guy who did my machine work/ loaded the head and give him a piece of my mind tomorrow. Expect to see this car for sale when I am done putting it back together. Edited by Shane Sullivan

You should be able to tell pretty easy, is the spring broke? retainer and locks still in place? rocker loose? lack of oil to the stem? how do the rest of them look?

Spring doesnt look broke, retainer and lock are still in place, I havn't pulled the head yet, so dunno about the oil or not, all the other valves and everything are perfect, the head is basically brand new

Might be a timing issue as mentioned already. If the retainers and spring are still intact the only explanation is the valve and piston making contact.

Take it back to where you had the work done. But if I were you, I'd first double check the timing marks, top and bottom to see if you're off a tooth or two. That way, if the shop gives you trouble, you can tell them what they did wrong.

Mechanical or hydralic lifters ?

Mechanical and all was adjusted properly, i will check on timing tomorrow. When I set the head, the timing was perfect and ran flawlessly up until this point. I highly doubt timing jump, tensioner and what not had very few miles on them.

I would lean more towards something fell into the intake and its stuck open from that and now its bent and the edge of it is smacking a piston top, could have came in from the throttlebody or out of the intercooler and someone poked it in from a BOV who knows. I doubt a valve bent and this is NOT the cars fault so why would you sell it after you fix it? What ever it was it didn't move and fall into the port until you blew enough air to move it if this has happened. I'd take the intake off first and look into the port before I pulled the head that way you can tell or say who is at fault then pull the head after you get pictures of it and repair it, likely you'll only need a new valve and a headgasket that's not that bad and you aren't the only one to have something go wrong.

I would lean more towards something fell into the intake and its stuck open from that and now its bent and the edge of it is smacking a piston top, could have came in from the throttlebody or out of the intercooler and someone poked it in from a BOV who knows. I doubt a valve bent and this is NOT the cars fault so why would you sell it after you fix it? What ever it was it didn't move and fall into the port until you blew enough air to move it if this has happened. I'd take the intake off first and look into the port before I pulled the head that way you can tell or say who is at fault then pull the head after you get pictures of it and repair it, likely you'll only need a new valve and a headgasket that's not that bad and you aren't the only one to have something go wrong.

Nothing was sucked into the motor, I pulled the head today, the valve just froze in the head. The valve itself hit the piston denting it but not cracking it. Nothing entered or exited the motor. And if you want to know why im selling it, its because Im tired of fixing it. Time I've owned the car, 5 months, days I've actually gotten to drive the car 16.

Was that a rebuilt head or new?

"Rebuilt" it had all new

Guides

Cam

Seals

Springs

Retainers

Locks

Adjusters

Valves

Jet Valve Eliminators

The only thing I reused from the head was the rocker arm assembly and the head it's self both of which were cleaned extremely well

"Rebuilt" it had all new

Guides

Cam

Seals

Springs

Retainers

Locks

Adjusters

Valves

Jet Valve Eliminators

The only thing I reused from the head was the rocker arm assembly and the head it's self both of which were cleaned extremely well

did you buy it on ebay? they use "reconditioned" valve springs that are slightly bent normally

eitherway, as said, it wasnt the cars fault, it was either a defective part or carelessness of the mechanic

in some causes, its the drivers fault (some)

did you buy it on ebay? they use "reconditioned" valve springs that are slightly bent normally

eitherway, as said, it wasnt the cars fault, it was either a defective part or carelessness of the mechanic

in some causes, its the drivers fault (some)

I bought the head used from a local salvage yard, I had it checked out after I disassembled it. I then bought all that was listed above. Schneider valve springs, TEP cam, and stainless 1mm oversize valves were used. The only thing I did not do was load the head, the machine shop did that

A valve doesn't just stick in a guide for no reason and the valve you put in has the same stem diameter as a stock valve something has hit that valve and caused it to bend then not go back up and the piston has tapped it and now its bent and whatever it was may have blown right out the exhaust. Next step is to remove the downpipe and see if the turbine blade is chewed up or destroyed. Depending on what it was that caused this may still be in the turbo or it chewed it up the blades are really tough and spin fast enough to take out many things. Check the turbo shaft from the front that's quick, see how it spins and if it sees to have lots of play. After it started running poorly did it blow lots of smoke? The other thing that would have caused the valve to stick is if it were bent as in someone dropped it or the head was done and then that's the valve that was sticking down after the cam was in and the head put on a counter and the stem was bent. Did the machine shop put the cam in for you and you got it back all ready to put on and did you put it down on a table? It takes VERY little to bend a valve. You can just drop one on the floor at the right angle and bend it. Maybe someone at the shop had it ready and it fell over and that bent it. What did they charge you for all that by the way?

A valve doesn't just stick in a guide for no reason and the valve you put in has the same stem diameter as a stock valve something has hit that valve and caused it to bend then not go back up and the piston has tapped it and now its bent and whatever it was may have blown right out the exhaust. Next step is to remove the downpipe and see if the turbine blade is chewed up or destroyed. Depending on what it was that caused this may still be in the turbo or it chewed it up the blades are really tough and spin fast enough to take out many things. Check the turbo shaft from the front that's quick, see how it spins and if it sees to have lots of play. After it started running poorly did it blow lots of smoke? The other thing that would have caused the valve to stick is if it were bent as in someone dropped it or the head was done and then that's the valve that was sticking down after the cam was in and the head put on a counter and the stem was bent. Did the machine shop put the cam in for you and you got it back all ready to put on and did you put it down on a table? It takes VERY little to bend a valve. You can just drop one on the floor at the right angle and bend it. Maybe someone at the shop had it ready and it fell over and that bent it. What did they charge you for all that by the way?

I think you may be correct, I went back and checked for shaft play and there is a ton of side to side, however there is no damage to either wheels. I also did not see any damage to the piston other than the valve hitting it. So whatever went through it must not have been very dense. When I pulled the rubber intake off to begin disassembly it was ripped along the back and was about half way ripped off. So it very well could have been a piece of rubber from that

Edited by Shane Sullivan

I think you may be correct, I went back and checked for shaft play and there is a ton of side to side, however there is no damage to either wheels. I also did not see any damage to the piston other than the valve hitting it. So whatever went through it must not have been very dense. When I pulled the rubber intake off to begin disassembly it was ripped along the back and was about half way ripped off. So it very well could have been a piece of rubber from that

Alrighty here's what happened/ is going to happen. Let's start with the past tense first. The shaft play was from running an oil restrictor because the car was puffing blue smoke between shifts, turned out to be residual oil in the intercooler due to the last turbo being blown. I thought the turbo might be getting too much oil and could not drain it fast enough, the restrictor was on there maybe 5 miles if even. That 5 miles was enough to destroy both thrust bearings. Now onto the valve. What happened was two pieces of foreign material, small in size got in between the guide and the valve stem, eventually heated up and seized. Okay now, I had previously mention that as soon as I got it fixed it was sold, this will not be the case, in fact it will be quite the opposite. Before I get into that I would like to give a big thanks to Dad (I believe Engine Machine Services) for hooking me up with a new valve. I can't thank you enough. Now, I am going to put the car back together and drive it for a short period of time. Here is a small list of what will be done to it in the following months.

JE Pistons (Will be ordered next friday)

Pauter Rods

Custom MPI setup including sheet metal intake manifold and mustang throttle body

1000cc injectors

Custom Mid mount intercooler

Holset HX35 or 40 havn't decided yet

Tial 44mm wastegate

Custom equal length twin scroll manifold

Megasquirt

Adjustable cam gear

New much larger cam

I am sure I am forgetting a few things but you get the idea. HP goal is 400-500 on e85 or race gas

I do have a couple questions about the stock crank and it's ability to hold the power, would it be worth going with TEP's race prepped crank? I will not daily drive this car so this will all get done eventually. I am aiming for the end of summer. Not rightly sure what I'm going to do with it when it's done, but it will get a cage and what not. What can I say I am in love with these cars and even though at times it pisses me off, I am the kind of person I like building cars and working on them more than I like driving them. I am sure I will have many more questions, Thanks in advance,

Shane