Auto Weld Cage, Chassis & Fab

Dave-O

So I've been looking for different pre-bent cage options for my missile Conquest, and I've found a few places that show a pre-bent design for Conquests and Starions. A couple friends of mine who bought my flatty Conquest for a LeMons racer went through a company called BDR [i think it was Broke D*** Racing? not sure] for their cage, but it was upwards $600 and not very good quality, all said and done.

I found a place online called Auto Weld Chassis & Fab [ http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu ].I Google'd the company name and it comes up many times in GM F-body and Fox-body Mustang forums quite a bit, with overall good results. Most times the only bad raps I've read were due to customer ignorance with assuming something was included, or the customer not ordering what it is they specifically needed.

I'm looking on their site at their 10-point [realistically is an 8-point with two additional feet supporting the main hoop], as I need the door bars, forward halo, and A-pillar bars to keep the car legal for tandem drift events and competitions. They list the general price of their cage at $278.95, and I'd imagine sales tax and shipping are added to that. So I'm figuring about $500 possibly a hair less to get it to my door, which is more than fair.

As far as the material, they say "Roll Cages are made from 1-5/8" OD x .134 wall ERW tubing", which is fine with me and within spec for the events I plan to attend. They also offer a chromoly version of all their designs for an added cost. For what I'm after, mild steel will function properly.

I wanted to know if anyone here has dealt with or knows of anyone who has brought business to Auto Weld, and if they can shine some light on them, their products, and their service? It doesn't have to be SQ-specific, either.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Mine was $600 to my door but I had to pay a engineering fee cause it was custom from Art Morrison. I couldn't be happier with the fitment... I don't know much about auto power, but I wouldnt go with mild steel, DOM or chromoly only. If your going to do it...

If you can afford it, Chromoly is substantially lighter and stronger than mild steel, take it from a BMX guy. With bikes, mild steel is a Kmart bike and chromoly is a pro frame. Good luck either way, sounds interesting.

If I go chromoly, its' going in my Starion, not the Conquest haha. I can't justify spending THAT much on a shell that's getting scrapped after some good final usage. The damage to it is enough to keep me from fixing the car, but its' currently more functional than my Starion.

I'll do some pricing and see what I come up with. Thanks guys.