heat treating and hard anodizing.

I don't have pics as of yet but since I work in the forklift industry there is much to know about how metal gets fatigued, streches and cracks under repeated loads. There are companies that do heat treating and hard anodizing. I just sent out my Wiseco pistons with coated skirts to hard anodize everything to Mil spec from the ringlands and up. The oil pump drive gears and pump gears are also getting the treatment as well as the cam gear.

Also the timing chain didn't need much attention but since I was at it I got a chromoly chain made for me from US Tsubaki, one of japan's finest industrial chain and sprocket/gear manufacturers

if it all works well, it should make the chain guides the only weak link to the timing side.

I think it means the combustion chamber should be polished and smoothed. I did it. I don't know how much it really affects knock resistance, but you'd think it would help. It will lower compression a tiny bit, but the motor is so strong with MPI, you will never know.

It is a way of making the surface of metal smoother and harder. I watched a video on it, Thet put the parts in containers of this sand like media 50 gallon drum size and its goes on a rotating machine that vibrate it . The weight of the polishing media and the high frequency motion of the polishing media made it work, They did it to a 350 engine and dyno'ed befor eand after and it was 15 hp gain.

It is a way of making the surface of metal smoother and harder. I watched a video on it, Thet put the parts in containers of this sand like media 50 gallon drum size and its goes on a rotating machine that vibrate it . The weight of the polishing media and the high frequency motion of the polishing media made it work, They did it to a 350 engine and dyno'ed befor eand after and it was 15 hp gain.

That's sort of like this...http://www.extrudehone.com/

I've heard shaking objects like cylinder blocks changes their molecular structure to make them more dense,

it is said to make them smaller in size , how ever noticeable that might be, but they are said to be stronger after the process.

they have a machine like that here at work by me=) they put stainless brackets in it that are all scratched up and they bouce around in there with the media, and then a while later the guy pulls them out and they're as shiny as can be=)

I asked our main man in R&D today and he said he doesn't see how it would make it any stronger. He said it's just for a finished look. They are smooth as hell though when they come out=) would it be a bad thing to see if he can put my head in there after hours and see what happens? Shouldn't hurt anything should it? I have a spare with a small crack between the valves on chamber 2. How much would that be to fix? And sorry for threadjacking Chips.

Edit: We have two different types of the RotoFinish Spiratron I believe. (pictured here http://www.masfinishing.com/Roto%20Finish%20.html) One of them uses ball bearings (about 1/8") that are lubricated, so more of a wet process. And then the one next to that uses a medium and is a dry process.

Edited by Earl

The company I work for does othis type finishing everyday. The process can be for finished look as well as durability. It all depends on the media used and the length of time it is processed. If the final finish is a mirror polish then you have basically strengthened the part in the same way hand polishing a rod would. It reduces the chance of cracking by removing stress points and places for cracks to start. If the process is done for an extended time with heavy steel shot it will actually change the molecular structure of the surface.

The company I work for does othis type finishing everyday. The process can be for finished look as well as durability. It all depends on the media used and the length of time it is processed. If the final finish is a mirror polish then you have basically strengthened the part in the same way hand polishing a rod would. It reduces the chance of cracking by removing stress points and places for cracks to start. If the process is done for an extended time with heavy steel shot it will actually change the molecular structure of the surface.

So in theory, the psuedo shot peening compresses the surface exposed steel and makes a denser less stress prone face of the metal or am I wrong? My combustion chamber is being polished as well, but like Technology mentioned, I'm not sure if that does much to aid in detonation deterance.

I just sent out a few more things for heat treatment that may be worth some thought. I sent out the Diff carrier and friction plates/springs, as well as a non- worn torque tube extansion shaft and male sleeve part on the pinion shaft. It's worth some investment just because all torque tube parts are obsolete and we all have no choice but to get used units. Even then, good ones are hard to come by. Just some food for though.

Edited by Bag-O-Chips

My car will get some form of dogged out t56 when I get back to it. Transaxle would be awesome. More weight in the back, which is needs!

It's about 5" too wide, I've put some serious thought into it...