Power Distribution

DzNutz

So I am looking into actually doing away with the fuse links and the whole ugly mess next to the battery. I am going to be updating it with a power distribution block. Dont know from what donor vehicle yet but am thinking like Saturn or even Windstar.

My biggest problem is doing the math to convert from fuse links to fuses.

I have all the corresponding sizes and AWG sizes for the links but am trying to figure what fuse to use to replace them. The small is a .3 mm wire on the link which translates to a 22AWG wire with a 5 amp max load. It is protecting a .5 wire (AWG 20) - 7.5 amps.

Here is a run down of my math.

Brown (.3mm) 22AWG = 5 amp fuse {ECI}

Green (.5mm) 20AWG = 10 amp {Headlight, PW, Defrost, pop up}

Red (.85mm) 18AWG = 15 amp {Ign, Batt}

Black (1.25mm) 16AWG = 20 amp (Supplies link box 1)

Does this look right?

What gets me is you have 5mm (10AWG - 55amp) feeding through a red .85mm (18AWG - 15amp) link to a 3mm (12AWG - 40amp) So is it right that a 15 amper is protecting a 40 amp circuit?

I guess what I want to know is should I use a fuse that is comparable to the link capacity, or should I use a fuse that will protect the circuit capacity?

I come to this because there is a 1.25mm ((16AWG - 20amp) link between the battery and altenator. The wire itself is 8mm (8AWG - 75 amp). Now a 75 amp fuse in the charging circuit seems a little more viable to me than a 20 amp.

PS. I am aware links are slow blow and fuses are fast blow. I am thinking this is why a 20 amp link would work on a 75 amp circuit? Wiring fire trucks isn't as hard as Mitsu crap.

When I did mine I didn't get all that carried away with the math. I took the lower rated ones and started off with a 5amp fuse. If it blew on the first drive, then it got a 10. As I recall I ended up with one 10a, 2 20a, and one 30a in my fuse box. Started off with one 5a and 3 20a, but had to up the 5a, and one of the 20a.

Based on what size wire is on either side of the fusible link you can gauge the max amperage the wire can handle. Here's my advice

18 gauge wire = 5-8 amps

16 gauge wire = 10-12 amps

14 gauge wire = 15-17 amps

12 gauge wire = 20-25 amps

10 gauge wire = 30-40 amps

8 gauge wire = 50-60 amps.

I've been running a Rockford-Fosgate block for about 5 years now without any issues, used a 4gauge wire running from the battery into the block itself. All the blade fuses are 20A, with one being 30A, I can take a look to make sure which is which..

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/690/1000073tr6.jpg

Zack K.

i dont understand whats wrong with fusible links :wacko:

Nothing wrong with fusible links. I am just looking to make it look cleaner and updated a bit. That and fuses are cheaper and easier to obtain then links. NOT that I'm blowing links, mind you.

Found a nice compact one with more than enough circuits to replace all the relays and everything ny the battery.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Distribution%20Box/S4021310.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Distribution%20Box/S4021309.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q272/DzG54BNutz/RMSQ/Distribution%20Box/S4021311.jpg

Advantage with this block is there are additional circuits I can use for stereo amps and other "upgrades" in the future as well.

• 1 month later...

Fuses are not Fusable Links. I'm sure they are rated totally different. The fuses should blow fast and the fusable link should limit current flow up until a failure occurs(right before the fire). I know I'm not helping and my intentions are not to be an @$$, just don't want you to be stranded.

E