Starter problem

Millhouse118

Went to start the girl last night to leave work and, thats as far as i got. It powers up normally but makes no noise at all when i try and engage the starter. So does it sound like a wiring problem? Bad Starter? do these cars have Starter Solenoids? Now that i think back the cars starter has acted up perieodically the past month. But i will try troubleshooting it tonight just wanted to check and see if anyone had any input. Thanks

There is a wire that connects to a spade terminal on the starter solenoid. If that comes off it will do exactly what you are describing. Mine has vibrated loose on several occasions. It could be a lot of things but this is easy to check first.

If you don't already know, go to http://starquestgarage.com/ and download the service manual. In the electrical section there is a procedure to test the starter, as well as all the wiring schematics you will ever need.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2705/starterspadeconnection.jpg

Edited by psu_Crash

As with any car really, turn key...no response...starter circuit needs checking. Being as you stated the starter has been "acting up" the starter itself is probably in need of rebuilding or replacement.

Start solenoid is probably ok...they are fairly long lasting. It still should be checked out. If nothing more than making sure the starter is getting power.

Most often, a no start problem is starter related. Most auto parts stores can check it...or any shop that repairs electric motors. It's rare that the starter bendix goes without some starter motor problems as well...most common reason motor failure is the brushes get worn out.

:o Thats spade looks awful familiar! When i looked down at the starter (it was night time with a flashlight) i saw that little guy setting all loose like on there. I thought i plugged it back in but i probably didnt all the way.... :blush: well i shure hope its that easy of a fix. I also found a wire that ran off the positive battery terminal that looked like it was fried so i fixed it while i was at it to no avail. So i will go back and check the little plug in guy. Thanks abunch!!!

Hit it right on the head! I looked at it today and the plastic lock on cover was broke and the wire part had slid back in it to where it wasnt actually clipping on, so i took the plastic piece off plugged it in and it fired right up!!! Thanks a milliion psu_Crash!!!!

Hit it right on the head! I looked at it today and the plastic lock on cover was broke and the wire part had slid back in it to where it wasnt actually clipping on, so i took the plastic piece off plugged it in and it fired right up!!! Thanks a milliion psu_Crash!!!!

You are very welcome

Glad I could help!