Any way to test an oil pump outside of the motor?

MadMax

sorry guys this ones not starquest related, but the dodge forums are not helpful in the least. Its my 2.7 dodge, yes the motor that for no reason is destroyed around 60,000 miles. Something about the water pump allowing water to mix with the oil causing sludge and destroying the motor, thats all i know. Well my oil light just started to come on at idle and goes away when rpms rise. So i'm thinking it has happened to me and there is prolly a milkshake in my motor causing oil pressure to drop. I dont see why the pump itself would be bad so i'm thinking replace faulty water pump flush motor and put it back together. Dont have the money for the oil pump and I need the car. Funny thing is my starquest just went down as well but ol reliable just needs a freeze plug while my new supposedly reliable car is on the verge of catastrophic failure. Anyway to test an oil pump outside the motor. I know what your thinking, "just go ahead and replace the pump". lol I know but i just dropped 500 bux on tires got a new inspection sticker and this s*** happens, all in one day. My wife mainly drives this car and she claims she never saw an oil light. Im sure most of you know how that goes. Sorry for the long story had to vent a little, Any help is appreciated.

You can probably disassemble it and inspect it for wear like any other pump- doesn't sound good though unless your oil pick up is plugged with sludge. if so clean the pan and pick up but do not run a motor flush- it will just loosen all the crud and send it thru your bearings. Good luck.

Dad

A quick oil change will reveal the contents of your oil. Pull your oil filter apart too. If it looks like chocolate milkshake, it's probalby too late alerady, bearing damage has likely already occured.

Time for a manual oil pressure gage, you can get them fairly cheap at autoparts stores. you need a real pressure reading, not an idiot light and the stock guess-o-meter in the dash. Screw it in where the stock idior light sensor is.

Get a pressure while cold at idle, warm idle, cruise, and high RPM. That will tell you all you need to know about the pump itself. Best to do this before the oil change, and again after. If you see a huge change (more than 10-15%), then your oil is getting contaminated. If the puressure is sub-par, your motor won't last much longer. If it's contaminnated with water, it will die very soon, like just a few hundered miles if it's bad enough. Water is a terrible lubricant in a motor.

K here you go,i build these all day here in MI that motor is my money maker.The problem is 1 oil passages are to small in the motor and the oil (HAS) to be changed every 2700 miles no matter what,they know about this but won't recall the problem.theirs a huge write up about that motor thats whay if you call jasper they will tell you about how they improved the oil system and what not.pull valve cover or even stick your finger in the oil cap hole if you see milk shake you got problems their is no easy fix the motor has to get tore apart and gone threw and if the car is being driven the next thing that is going to happen timing chain will brake here to fix the problem $750

thanx for the info guys. I went ahead and dropped the oil pan scooped out most of the sludge and cleaned the pickup tube. Put fresh oil in it and drove it to the nissan dealer. It helped a little the oil light stopped coming on but the motor still had sludge in all the oil passages so its just a matter of time till it blows. Long story short they paid off my magnum and i got a spankin new sentra in my drive way. The oil wasn't milky but there was build up already at 50,000 miles. I bought it used and only got to put 30,000 on that car it was near as much trouble as my starion. I feel bad about doing that but better them then me.lol. Besides nissan will make it one of there certified preowned and warranty it for a couple years, so whoever buys it will get a new motor. lol. don't judge me, every man for themselves.

I have bought quite a few dodges with v6's that had around 60k on them for 10% of MSRP. Including a 3yr old dodge ram on the factory 22's for $3k. the dodge motors are nothing like they used to be. and that dodge ram ran about 1200 in parts alone just to rebuild the engine. Timing chain was over $300 alone. I wonder if they ever came down in price on parts.. I might buy another truck, lol