BOV or no BOV?

ColdScrip

I ran a basically stock car with out one for many years. Same with my truck. Nothing bad ever happened. I would think mileage would be slightly better. But maybe not enough to really notice.Pretty sure the average stockesh car would run better with out all that air leaking in and out.

I agree. The Starquests came from the factory without a BOV as OEM. And they didm't have the turkey gobble either. I got 225K mile out of the Original OEM 12A turbo without a BOV.

The 14G turbo was offered as a dealer option for the Starions. However, a BOV was NOT included in the installation kit for this 14G dealer mod.

I know this, cuz right after I bought my '88 Starion, the Mitsu dealer service manager mentioned that the 14 G mod was available for my Starion when I brought her in for her first 1000 mile check up. I asked him how much the mod was. Are you sitting down? $1550 in 1988 money!!!! I asked him if a BOV was included - he said no it was not needed; how much was the mod kit if I installed the turbo myself. He said that if I installed the 14 G mod it would not be covered under warrantee.

Considering that I lived in Sacramento CA at the time with thejz smog restrictions on any mods to the engine/ exhaust system, having 2 cats in the exhaust system and the 2 in dia. exhaust tubing restricting exhaust flow AND THE PRICE I said to myself - "THE HADES WITH IT"!

Today I sort of wish I had had the 14 G mod installed back then. But, shoulda, coulda woulda.

But getting back to the original question - if you were/are running the OEM Original configured 12A & 14G turbos, per MITSU, you did/do not need a BOV.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

The last thing I think about after doing fuel mods,engine up grading and Blow off valve installation is miles per gallon. That, and the fact that I own a lot of Chevron stock. So you guys that live in California, keep doing those "gas eating" modifications and buy your gas at your local Chevron service station :lol: :lol:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308