Sprag and one way clutch

The Rabbit1

Anyone build a 4n71b enough times to know exactly which way the sprag in the O/D clutch set is supposed to spin? the low/reverse sprag/ one way clutch in the tail of the trans spins to the right but not the left, just would like to know which way the sprag spins. Any help is appreciated.

I thought I answered you once if not tiwce, It engaqges the same way by design either way you put in in. Try it, I did. Don't remember if it was left or right, and that depends on which way you are looking. Front to rear or rear to front. Alan

I thought I answered you once if not tiwce, It engaqges the same way by design either way you put in in. Try it, I did. Don't remember if it was left or right, and that depends on which way you are looking. Front to rear or rear to front. Alan

sorry, didn't understand what you were trying to say the other day, will try it out in the morning.

Glad you got it it worked out. Swear I built it up both ways and it was the same either way. Mine is coming down for some other work this week, I'll open the OD box just to see how I may have messed up checking it. The rear one-way only engages in first gear. Good luck, you'll do fine. Alan

• 3 weeks later...
Saw you shifting smooth in another thread. I think I messed up by checking it with input shaft installed and turning that. Had mine out last weekend, poped off the oil pump, checked the drum same as the rear. You were right. It should engage the same as the rear. Glad you brought this up and set me right. I quess I got lucky putting mine back together. I also downloaded the 1984 Nissian chapter for the L4N71B and it wasn't mentioned there either. About the same as our FSM, laid out different, few different pic's, they used 3 clutches in the turbo versions. Also had pic of where the check ball goes in the OD support, ours dosen't. I have pic's of mine opened up if any one needs. Anyway good job and keep it up! Alan