maximum boost for 88 starion

mtaylor530

Ive been searching the threads/archives(do they even work?)

No success...

I know it gets asked alot....

I'm trying to find out the Max boost my stock turbo makes stock, and if there is a benefit to adding a boost controller. How much boost can my motor handle?My motor has a stock bottom end,M28 head from DAD with stock valves,springs, and cam. ARP stud kit. is there a way to crank the stock turbo up??

Bad idea to just "crank the turbo up". Will you see benefits? Of course you will...quite a lot actually. The stock turbo (12a) has a max efficiency somewhere around 15psi i believe. It will make power past that...but at a some big costs. How much boost can your motor take from the 12a? No need to even ask that :P

A stock 88 quest makes 7.5 psi of boost before 4k rpm and 10psi of boost past 4k rpm i believe. Maybe someone can correct me if im wrong. You could add a boost controller but if the car is having any other kinds of problems...this is just asking for trouble.

how many miles are on the stock engine? are you having any mechanical problems right now and how is it running at stock boost? these are all questions you need to ask yourself before cranking it up. don't do any boost mods if your having any other mechanical problems. fix the other problems first.

if no mechanical problems and you do crank it up, you need to invest in a good aftermarket boost gauge to track it precisely since the factory gauge is only a computer generated estimate. i would also consider a blow off valve if i move above the 10 psi stock setting. i personnaly would not run the boost over 15psi on the stock turbo in your current setup.

You should get an air fuel gauge first. You can on a working stock fuel system run that stock turbo 20psi all day but its going to start to show up on things like a worn clutch or a bad driver then the clutch. Keep the oil changed, turbos don't like dirty oil. A worn and dirty turbo cartridge isn't going to like to spin fast enough to make that much boost for long so keep that in mind. This isn't 1992 that turbo might have been on there for over 20 years and never taken apart and serviced. When the old burnt oil accumulates around the sealing area of the front and rear oil seal eventually those seal end up leaking since the shaft by now also is moving around and that means some oil is burnt, it might smoke a little and any crankcase pressure from a non working oil separator/PCV valve (not being OEM) will make those seals leak.

I got a AEM wideband AND A MAF and translator. I WILL be hooking all of this up over thanksgiving....LOL Turkey or BOOOOST!!! I am thinkin about getting the AEM boost controller/gauge VERY soon. I would have installed all of this stuff sooner, but i dont know if I can eliminate that oil line from the pan to the aircleaner or various other egr and vac lines...LOL. I also have a 3 inch exhaust coming from *DM and am looking at a larger turbonetics turbo in the next month. I am shooting for about 350 HP for next summer. If I can get an MPI set up the next build will be 400-450....lol

Completely stock 1988.....10 Psi.Max.Remember....The higher you boost a stock Turbo above stock levels, the shorter the lifespan is on it. 7 to 15 psi. boost is the efficiency range of this turbo. But, that doesn't mean your still making power at 15 psi.Even if you install a MBC,I would not boost this turbo above 12 psi.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308