CHANGING MY HEAD

JayR_NYC

2DAY im swapping out my HyD. lifter head with 1.6 roller rockers... 4 a mech. adjustable lifter head...my Hyd head had a BAD sound coming out the exhaust manifold like when u blow ur muffler out...really bad sound when accel...I knew that the head had the 2 end bolts near the firewall were missing...2 discover that my head was holding the manifold with 1 bolt and half of one...OMG when i saw that...

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/BORICUA_05NY/MYTURBOALL012.jpg

manifold gasket when we took the head off...burnt thur one side of the gasket... HOLLY s***

Yesterday we started 2 take everything off...2 do the head swap

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/BORICUA_05NY/MYTURBOALL003.jpg

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/BORICUA_05NY/MYTURBOALL004.jpg

my 16g with a chrome turbine housing

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/BORICUA_05NY/MYTURBOALL001.jpg

My Red Beast...before a new Head swap...Lol

Edited by JayR_NYC

Coulda fooled someone else, but that looks quite the grunge look (probably from having the exhaust gasket get burnt up). But it also looks like the compressor wheel's fins have been damaged (housing shows signs of scraping and the fins in your picture look eaten up). While you are changing the head (or at the very least retapping the old threads to take new studs) it would be a great idea to survey any damage done to the turbo before it leads to another issue.

Coulda fooled someone else, but that looks quite the grunge look (probably from having the exhaust gasket get burnt up). But it also looks like the compressor wheel's fins have been damaged (housing shows signs of scraping and the fins in your picture look eaten up). While you are changing the head (or at the very least retapping the old threads to take new studs) it would be a great idea to survey any damage done to the turbo before it leads to another issue.

Damm just noticed the fins now...WOW...where can i get a rebuilt kit 4 my turbo???????..housing has anitfreeze from when the old rad. cap popped a spilled all ova the places

Coulda fooled someone else, but that looks quite the grunge look (probably from having the exhaust gasket get burnt up). But it also looks like the compressor wheel's fins have been damaged (housing shows signs of scraping and the fins in your picture look eaten up). While you are changing the head (or

at the very least retapping the old threads to take new studs) it would be a great idea to survey any damage done to the turbo before it leads to another issue.

but the turbo works great...pulls hard at 7pounds of boost...no sign of smoking or leaks

It may work great now, but from looking at the wear marks in thehousing it is either wobbling a bit or there is excessive shaft play.

no shaft play at all...but imma double check later on...where can i get a rebuilt kit 4 my turbo?????

It may work great now, but from looking at the wear marks in thehousing it is either wobbling a bit or there is excessive shaft play.

maybe it needs 2 be tighten a bit from the front bolt

Edited by JayR_NYC

Actually upon further review of your picture...whoever sold you/built that turbo probably screwed you. The housing does NOT appear to be modified to fit the (allegedly) 16g compressor wheel, the wheel looks like it been trimmed to fit into the housing, which as a result, the wheel itself is NOT balanced by any means and WILL continue to eat into the housing until it destroys itself.

Also, for future referance it is NOT a good idea to use any form of gasket maker (rtv/permatex) on the exhaust manifold or exhaust gasket, intake is one thing but the exhaust is another subject entirely.

This isnt to bash you in any way, just giving some advice/opinions before you possibly grenade the new head/motor.

Actually upon further review of your picture...whoever sold you/built that turbo probably screwed you. The housing does NOT appear to be modified to fit the (allegedly) 16g compressor wheel, the wheel looks like it been trimmed to fit into the housing, which as a result, the wheel itself is NOT balanced by any means and WILL continue to eat into the housing until it destroys itself.

Also, for future referance it is NOT a good idea to use any form of gasket maker (rtv/permatex) on the exhaust manifold or exhaust gasket, intake is one thing but the exhaust is another subject entirely.

This isnt to bash you in any way, just giving some advice/opinions before you possibly grenade the new head/motor.

silcone was put in 2gether with the gasket...2 bolts on the old was missing...some mechanic did that dumb s***...but was done cuz i was replacing that Head with the New Head... New exhaust gasket...everything the rite way...

i understand ur trying 2 help me out

Well since you have to have the turbo off the car, I would have someone have a better look at the turbo and see if that wheel is balanced or not. If its not balanced then its pretty well trash as it will wobble and wear out the seals right quick, wouldnt want you to rebuild it only to have wasted the money y'know.

Well since you have to have the turbo off the car, I would have someone have a better look at the turbo and see if that wheel is balanced or not. If its not balanced then its pretty well trash as it will wobble and wear out the seals right quick, wouldnt want you to rebuild it only to have wasted the money y'know.

ok wat if i check if it has any play...and it doesnt...then i could rebuilt the turbo?????....and how would i know if its balanced or not????...let me know all the info i need....PLEASE...im new at this SQ world...

I say that needs a rebuild for sure. A kit can be bought cheap enough but you need to positively ID the turbo first. Pull it apart and put a set of mics on the compressor wheel. Report back

http://i32.tinypic.com/2cei88n.gif

Edited by psu_Crash

I say that needs a rebuild for sure. A kit can be bought cheap enough but you need to positively ID the turbo first. Pull it apart and put a set of mics on the compressor wheel. Report back

the thing is buddy...that the turbo doesnt have any numbers on the turbine housing...a chrome housing with out any numbers...

feedback of the turbo... theres no play...and spins fine...only 2 fins have slight damage

You shouldn't need to swap the whole head to change to mechanical lifters. You just need to move you lifters over, on your current heads towers of course. You can use the Hydo or Mechanical rocker shaft. I've heard of people using the hydro cam with the Mechanical lifers, but I'm not an expert on that...or anywhere else.

You shouldn't need to swap the whole head to change to mechanical lifters. You just need to move you lifters over, on your current heads towers of course. You can use the Hydo or Mechanical rocker shaft. I've heard of people using the hydro cam with the Mechanical lifers, but I'm not an expert on that...or anywhere else.

due 2 the facts of the head missing the last botttom bolt near the firewall and also a loose muffler...muffler was touch the ground...so with that and hitting bumps maybe caused the head bolts 2 get damaged and brake off...guess it broke off all but 1 1/2 bolts that remained on the old head...the 1.6 roller rocker head that was removed only has a 1 bolt in the head...and a bolt that broke in half...so the head is trashed...

so basically the head and the manifold was being holded by 1 1/2 bolts...or maybe 2 bolts cuz i found another half of a bolt on the floor after the head was removed...

the 1st pic shows the damage done 2 the gasket...and that was a new exhaust gasket...

The story of this is--- the muffler was hanging drove it like that 4 2 weeks off and on...the manifold sounded fine...got the muffler lifted and fixed...then after awhile later...near the manifold when i rev u hear it like when ur muffler is blowen or cracked...nasty sound... so decided 2 change the head...cuz i knew that the last bolt was missing and i was losting compression from the exhaust manifold cuz of the misssing bolt and not having the manifold and head attach or evenlly 2gether... 2 discover the damages done 2 the head... siclone was put in around the bolts from a mechanic cuz we told him we was going 2 replace the head...and that was 2 1/2 months ago

P:S the cams r all the same...Hyd or Mech. lifters...i went from Hyd lifter 2 a roller rocker set up...the replaced head is the roller rocker set up

Replace a head because a stud is broken? You ever hear of drill? Does that "mechanic" you use know how to use one? How about you take that warped manifold off and get it resurfaced. That chewed up compressor wheel may push air but its not going to forever. It spins fast enough to make boost its vibrating and chewing out the thrust bearing but alright. That's not a "chrome" housings, it just cast aluminum and someone rubbed a wire brush over it or polished it.

the 1st pic shows the damage done 2 the gasket...and that was a new exhaust gasket...

The story of this is--- the muffler was hanging drove it like that 4 2 weeks off and on...the manifold sounded fine...got the muffler lifted and fixed...then after awhile later...near the manifold when i rev u hear it like when ur muffler is blowen or cracked...nasty sound... so decided 2 change the head...cuz i knew that the last bolt was missing and i was losting compression from the exhaust manifold cuz of the misssing bolt and not having the manifold and head attach or evenlly 2gether... 2 discover the damages done 2 the head... siclone was put in around the bolts from a mechanic cuz we told him we was going 2 replace the head...and that was 2 1/2 months ago

P:S the cams r all the same...Hyd or Mech. lifters...i went from Hyd lifter 2 a roller rocker set up...the replaced head is the roller rocker set up

the head swap was done...2day...everything came out perfect...