knock box

Wally Walt

Ok so I've had a million mechanics look at my car but no one knows starion other than us. So I need help I have an 88 starion and it won't start I've checked everything and a few of you said the knockbox . Can I check to see if mines bad before I buy another?

Make sure that you have a good ground. some of the main ones are just below the battery, and on the black(usually for alternator), and one on the manifold itself. Make sure that these have good connections.

I'm getting spark just no fuel and I tried to jump the fuel pump and if I did that I got no spark? So idk if its an override thing the ecu does or what? Idk I cleaned all the grounds I found but I just found out there was like eleven of them so idk what could be wrong but really would love to figure it out and I don't wanna sell another one of these cars

Does the pump run if you use the test port?

The ignition system and fuel system are separate. If the fuel system isn't getting power the ignition system can still work. If you leave the jumper wire on the pump and it will start that means there's a lack of power to the pump or what is most common the "ECI" fuse link has a dirty connection. That fuse link is in the holder behind the battery. If a fuse link stretches its burnt out but they are usually just dirty. Battery acid corrodes the ends of the link and the terminals inside the holder it plugs in to so clean those connections and try again.

The other common problem is the connectors to the injectors. When they are corroded and then twisted and pulled on to remove that pushes the folded over edges of the terminal inside that plug out and enlarges the terminal so it sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't. You can use an ice pick or some pointed tool and slightly fold those edges back in after you clean them and the injector terminals. You can use an emery board (filing finger nails) if you cut it into a thin strip on the end that's like a sandpaper stick and you can use that to get the corrosion off. You can replace the clips but you will have to go far enough back in the harness to find clean copper to attach the new clip pigtails to. Attaching them to that black corroded wire in the harness isn't the way you should do it those make bad connections. You might have to unwrap and cut out 6 inches of bad wire.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/pumptestport1.jpg

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/ignsequence.jpg

Edited by Indiana

Thanks right now my engines out and I'm cleaning everything so ill let I know how it goes when its back in but thanks for everything but if it doesn't run them I'm out on the game guys so a super super clean fresh rebuilt engine will be for sale

Thanks right now my engines out and I'm cleaning everything so ill let I know how it goes when its back in but thanks for everything but if it doesn't run them I'm out on the game guys so a super super clean fresh rebuilt engine will be for sale

EZ to check the fuel pump by itself, use the test port connector down by the airbox. Run a short 12V+ lead into the test port connector, you should feel a pulsation on the fuel line up to the injectors/throttle body if the pump is working...

Just my $0.02... ;)