Buying another Conquest been sitting and need help.

302ci

Ok so i was lookin around a old junk yard for some parts for a friends car, and stumbled across a 88 Conquest TSI Widebody. I talked to the junkyard guy and he said its been sittin for about 7 years. I just started school and need a car i can get runnin quick with little money. I looked at the car the front metal peice in the grille area is beat up from a fender bender, and the driverside window is broken out. The interior looks ok from sittin but may need to be re covered and stuff. The front lower clip that covers intercooler is missing, but other than those the body is perfect. Even though the owner says the car is "rusted pile of junk" (which its not i checked). What would this car be worth. I was thinking of taking about $350 up there and offering $250 for it then negotiate. I would only like to spend about $700 total on the car and getting it running. Can you guys also let me know what parts i will need? I know the gas tank will need to be dropped and inspected, and maybe some bushings but i just need it to get back and forward to school 4 days a week. So if i may need anything else anything will be appreciated.

Thanks,

302ci

well, chances are it's there for a reason. Could need an engine, tranny, electronics, injectors suspension, steering. I would not buy a car from a junkyard in hopes to get it running for transportation. It's just my opinion but with a 700 budget I don't think it would be a wise choice. I would find a car that needs work but is at least startable so you have an idea of what you need to do. Assuming that everything there is in good working order. I would figure out what is missing and work on replacing those parts. Then I would turn my attention to air/fuel/spark. You'll have to do a complete tune-up. Fuel filters, dropping the tank, injectors, lines etc. Then work your way to spark, clean/check distributor, check vac advance, ignitor, coil etc. Then work your way from the mas to the throttle bosy and look for bad hoses, clamps, lines, etc. It would be smart to rebuild the throttebody as those parts could use attention. Change oil, tranny rear-end fluids. Then try to get her to start and replace sensors/connections that are not functioning properly. Now is a good time to start on the cooling system, change your radiator hoses, thermostat and rod/clean radiator. Good luck

theres usually two reasons a car is in a junk yard. one because its wrecked, and two because it doesnt run. so if the cars appearence seems good you have to wonder why it's there. i would bet that theres a major problem somewhere. but if you want to try, good luck. gary gave you alot of good info, also if you can get a compression test on the motor.

Most salvage yards will not let you try and start a car (insurance reasons) Also, you don't nec, want to turn a car over that's been sitting 7 years. Doing a dry compression test with 7 year+ oil isn't something I would nec do. On rotories that used to sit for a while, I would put marvel mystery oil in the chanbers and then turn it by hand for a few days. Then If it "felt" good I would pull the spark plugs and crank it over to see what it sounded like. I'd pull the head in the junk yard. Wouldn't take all that long and you could get a better idea of what condition it's in. I would be doing it though thinking I was going to be replacing everything anyway.

well, chances are it's there for a reason. Could need an engine, tranny, electronics, injectors suspension, steering. I would not buy a car from a junkyard in hopes to get it running for transportation. It's just my opinion but with a 700 budget I don't think it would be a wise choice. I would find a car that needs work but is at least startable so you have an idea of what you need to do. Assuming that everything there is in good working order. I would figure out what is missing and work on replacing those parts. Then I would turn my attention to air/fuel/spark. You'll have to do a complete tune-up. Fuel filters, dropping the tank, injectors, lines etc. Then work your way to spark, clean/check distributor, check vac advance, ignitor, coil etc. Then work your way from the mas to the throttle bosy and look for bad hoses, clamps, lines, etc. It would be smart to rebuild the throttebody as those parts could use attention. Change oil, tranny rear-end fluids. Then try to get her to start and replace sensors/connections that are not functioning properly. Now is a good time to start on the cooling system, change your radiator hoses, thermostat and rod/clean radiator. Good luck

The good thing is i have a parts car i can get injectors and stuff off of. But i may still get it anyways just as a project and just buy a used motorcyle for a few months (I live in Louisiana not cold til December most of the time). So what would be a good price for it? Is $250 fair or more

A lot of good advice so far. Let the junker RIP. You have a total budget of about $1,000, try posting in "Items Wanted" or "Cars for Sale" and see if you can find a basic, running StarQuest for that much then use your parts car to replace or upgrade as needed.

Good luck,

even if the motor isn't blown, not running for extended periods of time is absolute hell on these cars, i would be willing to bet their is tar in the tank, hell if there's any way moister got in the engine by any chance than its toast unless you have a running motor and were planing on getting it as a nice roller, id let it rot, jus do what i did/do, get a running car, then slighly sneak in the junkyard late at night and become a scavenger hahaha

• 2 weeks later...