cylinder wall build up

lew39

ok heres a pic of the cylinder 3, all the other walls look good. as you can see there is a bit of buildup at the top. i pretty sure its rebuild time, but just wanted to get your opinions. thank you

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae135/holloeband/IMG_0018.jpg

Doesn't look that bad. There's always a ridge at the top of the cyl walls, that's as far as the rings travel. I've a little more concerned with the dark markings along the wall. Was the car smoking before? Did you check compression before pulling it apart? Run your fingers through the walls, if you feel ridges or scoring or valleys along those dark areas, then yeah, I'd say rebuild.

EDIT: good eye Dad. That does look like aluminum.

Edited by louswheel01

Was that the old motor you just rebuilt? As long as new rings are in there or at least the old ones had all the carbon removed and also from the ring grooves it will run fine but you could have honed those cylinder walls some more. The scratches up and down will burn some oil but its not like its a motor that won't run or you'll need to carry oil in the trunk or it will smoke or anything. High boost might be more of an issue with crankcase pressures for awhile just make sure the separator system is hooked up. All that crap and carbon on the sides of the piston, and rust, caused those marks to be chewed into there. You can see some pitting in part of the cylinder wall that's the worst part not those long down scratches. This isn't a motor that's for racing or anything its just for stock right? It will be just fine.

i got this car on the cheap with a blown head gasket. this what i found. no everything else you see is smooth, cant feel any scratching at all. last owner did a compression test. let me dig up the numbers.

edit compression # 120-30-90-120

Edited by lew39

Was that the old motor you just rebuilt? As long as new rings are in there or at least the old ones had all the carbon removed and also from the ring grooves it will run fine but you could have honed those cylinder walls some more. The scratches up and down will burn some oil but its not like its a motor that won't run or you'll need to carry oil in the trunk or it will smoke or anything. High boost might be more of an issue with crankcase pressures for awhile just make sure the separator system is hooked up. All that crap and carbon on the sides of the piston, and rust, caused those marks to be chewed into there. You can see some pitting in part of the cylinder wall that's the worst part not those long down scratches. This isn't a motor that's for racing or anything its just for stock right? It will be just fine.

no indiana i just had the time to get back to the car. this is what it looks like now. i have not rebuilt the block yet. im try to determine if i need to. this will be all stock. the headgasket was blown something terrible. thanks

Edited by lew39

I'd pull the pistons out and clean them up, there is going to be all sorts of built up crud around the rings and behind them. Rings can stick too especially rusty ones. There's a tool to clean the ring grooves, its lkely an Autozone loaner tool something like that and the rest will come off with a wire brush. You can get a hone to use in a drill but you don't want to try and get all the marks out only make some new honing marks which only takes about 30 secondas in each hole. Rings and bearings that's maybe 100-150 more that way you know all the crap is out of the pan too, don't forget the oil cooler.

i was told by the PO that this engine was rebuilt within the last year. so i would think the buildup shouldnt be that bad. you can see how clean this is. thats what it looked like when i pulled the head. i did not clean it up at all. there actually is very little carbon anywhere in there. i was hoping to just put a new head and gasket on this block, but id hate to overlook something. is there a way to remove that build up at the top? or should i just leave it. thanks again

that is left over piston material from the piston now in there or the one that was in the hole,, only way to know for sure ois to pull the piston , but thats exactly what a burnt ring land looks like , and if one did it expect more to be the same way or one the way

ok i got everything coming this week i need to put this car back together. my question is, can i just unbolt and pull piston #3 to take a look? ive never tore down a block so im not sure. in the FSM it looks like i can just pull the oil pan and unbolt the rod from the crank. is this the case? thank you

thanks indiana. i might need some help when i put the cam gear and dizzy back together just to make sure i get everything lined up right. ive got a 5 day weekend next week so hoping to have this car spinning its wheels by labor day!