1G DSM Little To No Boost

NotStock88

Car- 1992 Eagle Talon (tsi awd) so i am driving back to work on lunch and notice my 1G OEM exhaust has a pretty loud leak (OEM flex pipe is torn). I get off work, and its noticiably louder than at lunch and now I get no boost around town. I jump on the e-way to go home and i punch it and i get about 2psi... I am not sure what is really wrong, nothing has changed since yesterday when it was boosting fine, other than the exhaust being loud as crap now. It still runs perfectly fine, it just doesnt boost.

Is my exhaust not building enough backpressure to boost?

Is the turbo bad now (factory turbo still, 110k and has never boosted more than factory 10psi)

Might sound dumb but i am stumped what could cause this. I have had turbos go bad on me before and when they did I would just hear this really loud howling and get no boost.

I'd open the hood to check underneath to see anything visually out of place. A torn flex section won't do that in the DSM's, its after the turbo and down pipe. Something else is wrong, something came loose or off, maybe waste gate is stuck open even.

Those stock flex sections even if they appear intact on the outside may not be on the inside. The inner layer can come apart and blow back into the exhaust and block it especially if you have a convertor in there even if its gutted. The only way to tell is to disconnect the exhaust AFTER the flex and look into it. If the inner layer(s) have separated you'll have a piece about 8 inches long that slips back and takes up a shape sort of like a road cone and it blocks the exhaust and you will make little boost and it won't rev up like its supposed to.

Those stock flex sections even if they appear intact on the outside may not be on the inside. The inner layer can come apart and blow back into the exhaust and block it especially if you have a convertor in there even if its gutted. The only way to tell is to disconnect the exhaust AFTER the flex and look into it. If the inner layer(s) have separated you'll have a piece about 8 inches long that slips back and takes up a shape sort of like a road cone and it blocks the exhaust and you will make little boost and it won't rev up like its supposed to.

I am currently in the market for an aftermarket exhaust - the flex section has a hole in it.

You might just get the 3" and have a flex put in it. I don't know if the aftermarket stuff has a flex in it or not I suppose it depends on where you buy it. If you have the flange for the turbo just let an exhaust shop make it. That will be much cheaper and they will make it fit and still be less money than a bought ready bolt on Chinese crap tube that doesn't fit worth a damn and has no flex. The pipe is just a 90 bend and if an exhaust shop can't make that they might as well just shut down.

The subject of flex pipe failures came up on dsmtuners the other day. This can happen on a quest as well.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/377615-ebaydownpipe-please-readbefore-you-think-about-buying-ebay-megan-racing-downpipe-2.html

The turbo flex style is supposed to be better. I am not indorsing any particular brand

Vibrant TurboFlex Couplings w/ Interlock Liner

Vibrant's incredible TurboFlex flex coupling was designed for turbo or supercharger applications that require even more flow than standard flex coupling. They feature a smooth stainless steel interlock that helps exhaust flow, and reduces restriction

http://www.statracing.com/buy/vibrant-flex-pipe.asp

Edited by StarquestRescue