2 stage or single stage paint?

TSI_law

I have a rio/mexican red '88 Starion with factory paint. Does any one know if Mitsu use a 2 stage(base coat/clear coat) or a single stage paint? The paint is fading so I was thinking about repainting it to help with the value of the car. It only has 60K miles.

Factory paint is a two stage (base coat/clear coat) system. There are single stage metallic paints as well as single stage solids. You can get a color match using either stage paint, two stage paints have better shine. Your car is probably fading pretty good on the plastic pieces, that is mainly due to the flex agent they used to keep the bumper from cracking in light accidents, fortunately for you, flex agents are obsolete for modern paints so you won't have to deal with that type of fading after your new paint job. Also, the 80's is when emissions concerns started to rise, so the quality of paint in that era wasn't so hot either.

Are you painting it yourself? or taking it to a shop?

Factory paint is a two stage (base coat/clear coat) system. There are single stage metallic paints as well as single stage solids. You can get a color match using either stage paint, two stage paints have better shine. Your car is probably fading pretty good on the plastic pieces, that is mainly due to the flex agent they used to keep the bumper from cracking in light accidents, fortunately for you, flex agents are obsolete for modern paints so you won't have to deal with that type of fading after your new paint job. Also, the 80's is when emissions concerns started to rise, so the quality of paint in that era wasn't so hot either.

Are you painting it yourself? or taking it to a shop?

■Grace Silver Metallic Clearcoat H84/PA4

■Palermo Gray Metallic Clearcoat L83

■Rio/Mexican Red R04/PR2

■Sophia White W09

■Serbia Black X15/PX1

I wonder why a few does not specify (CLEARCOAT)?

Edited by AutoBodyGod

■Grace Silver Metallic Clearcoat H84/PA4

■Palermo Gray Metallic Clearcoat L83

■Rio/Mexican Red R04/PR2

■Sophia White W09

■Serbia Black X15/PX1

I wonder why a few does not specify (CLEARCOAT)?

When I get to work on Monday I'll enter the paint codes into my computer, we have a Dupont Paint dispensing system with a YADA X-pert paint mixing system, I'm sure regardless of whether is says it in whatever list you found those colors, it's still a two stage. Also, my last Starion three years ago was an R04 and when I went to get my paint for it, it was offered as a two stage for a factory replacement, the paint shop I went to was a PPG distributor.

Can't remember for sure....But I do believe all solid colors are single and all metallics are 2 stage.

That is what I have found as well- for the most part. The reds, whites and blacks were all single stage. Off the top of my head, the only solid colors that were cleared were Durban maroon and San Marino yellow. Otherwise, if they were metallic, then they got cleared.

If you plan to repaint the whole car, I'd just use a base/clear. The paint will look better, retain it's shine better, and also have better UV protection so that the paint won't turn pink like the factory red does.

use clear even if the factory didnt, clear give the paint so much more depth.

here is a "couple" we repainted for some motivation for you. :lol:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/flatty/Picture035.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/bodywork/100_7276.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/gregs%20car/greg4053.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/silverquest/larrysdad/larry6003.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/tman/t6094-1.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/vcyberbob/Gtxthunder/gtx175.jpg

the funny thing is...anymore, a lot of times single stage is just about the same price as 2 stage. But, I say go 2 stage. I painted my car with PPG single stage about 2 years ago, and, it faded...badly.

even if it WAS single back then nobody would do it like that now unless cost was the issue.

There were lots of manufacturers that used single stage paints up into the 90's, even. Usually, it was used on most lower end cars as a way to save money time and steps in the production process. I'm actually a little suprised that a car that was kinda Mitsubishi's flagship car didn't have clear on everything, but I guess a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

But yeah, no matter what the car did have you should go with a base/clear. The only time it's really frowned upon at all is sometimes classic car collectors don't want a car that's more shiny than it was new. But, since our cars aren't pulling 6 figures on Barret Jackson, I say go for the best paint you can.

I have to admit though...for being single stage originally, my Quest really wasn't that bad. Single stage black originally, and the only real reason I repainted it was because it had stone chips down to the metal that had surface rust. But...then again, they baked the cars to really cure the paint to rock hard status before they left the factory...so...that helps them last.

Also...one nice thing about single stage paint is...if you need to repaint a section of the car (ie, after an accident), its very easy to blend the paint and not have to repaint the whole car just for one spot. But...you gain some you lost some. As it is the case with everything.

Thanks for the input. I looks like single stage paint. I know it has never been repainted, so was just curious. I will be painting it myself and will be using base/clear. The Hawaii sun kills paint.

Thanks for the input. I looks like single stage paint. I know it has never been repainted, so was just curious. I will be painting it myself and will be using base/clear. The Hawaii sun kills paint.

The VOG is the real paint killer the sulfer residue is what eats the paint in Hawaii..Keep it waxed and she will be fine..

• 1 month later...
The reason that the red white and black were done in single stage is because they aren't a metallic so it doesnt matter what system they use. Metallics don't show up very good in single so thats why they used a base clear system on the metallics so the metallic would "pop" instead of you haveing to search for it up close. Go look at an old Dodge Challenger that is Plum Crazy Purple and still has factory paint. Try looking for the pearl that is in it... you have to look really close to even see it... they learned by the 80's that the metallic colors are more vibrant in base clear than a single stage. I hope that all makes sense.

If budget is a concern and want the best QUALITY paint go with EASTWOODS Single Stage Urethane

www.eastwood.com

I had this 87' Starion painted with Urethane Single Stage and came out really really good.(dont use Enamel/Laquer paint)

After analizing their variety of colors they offer I went with what they call "CANDY 1/4 mile RED"

After painting I think this is the only red I seen that is very very rich in color.

If I had to paint another red car it would be their "1/4 mile Candy Red" but if you are thinking of keeping the car for a very loooong time and will throw the clear coat on the Urethane to give it EVEN more depth.

CHECK IT OUT

http://www.vuvox.com/collage/detail/02ca9f30d0

Edited by OPTIMUSPRIME