TILT ISSUE

dmdvzla

So, I took this weekend to address a couple of little things on my newly acquired 89 Starquest. The car is in amazing shape but I am very picky (I guess more so than the previous owner) and I want to make this car as it just rolled out from the dealership. I fixed/adjusted almost every issue that needed to be addressed, but the only thing I could not figure out was a steering wheel tilt problem.

My tilt does not move (totally the opposite of the common scenario) the tilt rod knob moves in and out but the tilt is solid in one spot.....Any ideas on what could be the problem?

I need to fix this because the steering wheel is about half way down and I am 6 feet tall, so it's a little hard to get in and out of the car without my legs rubbing on the steering wheel.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Commonly it won't hold the column up so don't feel too bad. :)

This might help. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74247

I wouldn't feel bad if the steering wheel was locked in a position where I could drive, get in and out of the car confortably.....right now is have way down and it almost rubs against my legs.

Professor Quest wants me to spread this word to the community.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/steering/P1010954.jpg

If you'll index the parts FIRST, take the grip apart and punch-it with

a center punch, clean off all the grease and put it back together.

It WORKS killer! B)

Professor Quest wants me to spread this word to the community.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/steering/P1010954.jpg

If you'll index the parts FIRST, take the grip apart and punch-it with

a center punch, clean off all the grease and put it back together.

It WORKS killer! B)

will this unlock the tilt system? remember that my problem is the opposite of the common problem......

I think after this much time you're supposed to tell us what fixed it - after crawling under there and figuring it out :)

I've seen just about everything on this board but never your issue. Maybe someone welded that sucker.

I had the same problem with mine, when I went under I found that the previous owner had used big electrical ties to lock down the column so it didnt flop around, only problem is he put it all the way down and I cant see the top of the gauges the wheel is in the way. SO I just put a few blocks between there and used more big ties to lock it down again so it would flop around. THe tilt doesnt work, but no one but me will drive it, so its in a good spot for me. As long as the wheel is in a good spot for you who cares right.

I think after this much time you're supposed to tell us what fixed it - after crawling under there and figuring it out :)

I've seen just about everything on this board but never your issue. Maybe someone welded that sucker.

That's what I am afraid....if it is welded I am screwed!!!

I had the same problem with mine, when I went under I found that the previous owner had used big electrical ties to lock down the column so it didnt flop around, only problem is he put it all the way down and I cant see the top of the gauges the wheel is in the way. SO I just put a few blocks between there and used more big ties to lock it down again so it would flop around. THe tilt doesnt work, but no one but me will drive it, so its in a good spot for me. As long as the wheel is in a good spot for you who cares right.

I guess your fix was much easier than mine.....I really hope mine is not welded.....I will look again this weekend. But, I do have the same issue as you. My steering wheel is set too low for me, so even though it is not in the way for me to see the gauges, it actually almost rubs on my legs everytime I get in and out of the car....so I really need it higher! But..again, I have the opposite problem everyone else usually has.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a few covers off and see if it's welded, if so, grind off the welds then do the tilt mod. I just bent by rod a bit and it stays put now.

Dad