tilt steering lock problem

brogers

I've never experianced this....but can be quite dangerous I'd think.

I'm not real sure how the mechanism is on the StarQuest, but it sounds to me like a missing or worn spring is the problem area.

Take the bottom dash cover (under column) and steering column cover off...then with a flashlight, try adjusting the wheel to see what's going on. Anything looking worn or out of place should be evident as you adjust it.

There could be a exploded view or pics of how this mechanism is on Starquestgarage.com...don't know for sure, but worth a try.

Good luck

I've never experianced this....but can be quite dangerous I'd think.

I'm not real sure how the mechanism is on the StarQuest, but it sounds to me like a missing or worn spring is the problem area.

Take the bottom dash cover (under column) and steering column cover off...then with a flashlight, try adjusting the wheel to see what's going on. Anything looking worn or out of place should be evident as you adjust it.

There could be a exploded view or pics of how this mechanism is on Starquestgarage.com...don't know for sure, but worth a try.

Good luck

Theres an easy repair step to fix this and requires u to take nothing apart. Grab a set of Vice Grip pliers and pull the tilt lever out as if u were trying to adjust it. Now lock those pliers at the end and bend it to the left slightly. Push it back in and see if it fixes it. If not pull it back out and bend it a little more until it stops. Common problem and this method was found by old gangster starquest owner Buzzkill

Theres an easy repair step to fix this and requires u to take nothing apart. Grab a set of Vice Grip pliers and pull the tilt lever out as if u were trying to adjust it. Now lock those pliers at the end and bend it to the left slightly. Push it back in and see if it fixes it. If not pull it back out and bend it a little more until it stops. Common problem and this method was found by old gangster starquest owner Buzzkill

I did that exactly and it worked for Me. i suggest you loosen the lock nut and remove the plastic lever first so you don't break it.

Dad

My 89 did this yet never had this problem with the earlier design of tilt wheel, scary when your steering wheel falls in your lap at 130 plus isnt it! ive recently replaced mine from a parts car and so far so good.