1990 Eclipse turbo

Dred_85.5_TSI

going to look at it tonight, any problems I should look for other than the normal things for a car that age?

I've had 4 of these cars. Odds are the tranny is pretty worn out. I haven't followed that link, so unless he specifically mentions that it shifts great, you will have problems with it. Make sure all 4 axles are good - granted they aren't that hard or expensive to replace :). The rear end may be worn depending on if it's a 3 bolt of 4 bolt. 4 bolt is what you'd want. Other than that, it's basically your run of the mill old mitsubishi turbo car. Check shaft play, oil leakage, vacuum leaks, etc. Engine itself is probably still great...hard to break a stock 4g63.

ok, the car is awesome!

it is stupid clean mechanically, all stock, no leaks. :D

the interior looks like the engine bay as far as clean, and nice condition.

theres a little rust, but nothing I can't handle.

might be getting it friday, the guy had two other people looking at it tonight and friday morning, hopefully they are tire kickers :unsure:

so now it's a waiting game.....

Man thats nice! I really regret passing on a 91 AWD talon. It was 500 bucks and ran and drove, but overheated. rust free though and straight.. but it needed a lot of work. More than i was really wanting to deal with at the time. i should have just bought it and held onto it.

Only 2nd gen DSM's / 95-96-and some 97's 4g63 engines are know for crank walk, it was mainly due to keeping cost down.

Nice find, I miss mine so much - is it a fwd ( stock non turbo wheels on 91-93 talons ) or is it a awd

But check the following first on it.

1.Timming belt and balance shaft belt - both belts are the kiss of death on the 4g63 motors

timming belt tensioner also kiss of death on this car.

2.mainly grinding on the 2nd or 3rd gear - syncro's - try changing the trans fluid with red line or GM sycromesh might fix the grinding if it has it.

3.check the ECU - look at the caps and see if they are leaking - but can be fixed also for cheap - and see if it is a eprom chipped ecu - worth more than your standard ecu and can be rechipped.

4. If it is hunting for idle more likely cause is your ISC motor on this car - make sure you get that changed or will burn up your ecu.

5. common mitsu cracks on the exhuast manifold.

6. lifter tap - fix is 93 Montero lifters

But best of all you can get a 4g63 from the stock 195hp to about 250 - 300 hp from free mods to almost next to nothing.

good luck on the purchase and nice find.

Edited by jspecgallant