local police undercover/unmarked cars

bmx152

Enforcers of the law are supposed to be held to the HIGHEST standard, that's why the "public" cares MOST about their wrong doings than a simple employee of a privately owned company. You CAN NOT compare them, the "jobs" are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

-Robert

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enforcers of the law are supposed to be held to the HIGHEST standard, that's why the "public" cares MOST about their wrong doings than a simple employee of a privately owned company. You CAN NOT compare them, the "jobs" are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

-Robert

I wasnt saying that we shouldnt be held to the highest of standards.. I was simply pointing out that there arent as many bad police officers as it seems because of the media coverage police get compaired to everyone else. My point was that job for job the amount of screw ups is acually very close to the same by percentage. That and was pointing out that we dont just get a "slap on the wrist", as BMX152 said, we get harder punishment than the every day citizen.

The only way that will work is if you try to get them to race.. other wise it is entrapment. They cant egg you on and then get you for it.. only if you start it. My department runs everything we seize and buy other vehicles with siezure money as well.

Entrapment has to be convincing you to do something you wouldn't ordinarily be predisposed to do. It's not entrapment if all you need is a couple rev's from another car in order to break the law.

I've heard about police instigating street races for years now, and have seen it personally one time(late model GTO). Its a shame it didn't happen now, when I have contacts to get it checked into.

The PD's and SO's who do this must have one hell of an insurance policy.

So ... to bring this back fully on-topic ...

There's a tan '99 Buick LeSabre, and a green late-'90s Buick Regal taht run around my area. There's a handful of Ford Five-Hundreds of assorted colors, and the undercover PI next street over has a charcoal '09 Malibu.

Entrapment has to be convincing you to do something you wouldn't ordinarily be predisposed to do. It's not entrapment if all you need is a couple rev's from another car in order to break the law.

I've heard about police instigating street races for years now, and have seen it personally one time(late model GTO). Its a shame it didn't happen now, when I have contacts to get it checked into.

The PD's and SO's who do this must have one hell of an insurance policy.

Large PD and SO departments have large budges and are self insured in that area.

On the topic at hand. Brand new F350 crewcab diesel, dodge ram, navigator, trailblazer, ect all with lights. There are also old crown vics on rims, pathfinder, tempo, ect all plan cloths car without lights and these change on a weekly basis.

Where do you live.. I need to move there. A guy on our midnight shift got accussed of taking $200 and is now relieved of duty and if he gets convicted will serve Fed time which is day for day not 1/3 the time like in state court. Police officers get held to a higher standard.. not lower. If you get 10 years you serve 4 at most. We get 10 we serve 10 in Federal lock up.

That is a public misconception.. the "Bad apple" rate is about the same as every other job in America. The only thing is when you are making bread at a factory and spit in the dough it doesnt get pasted all over the news like things police officers do. I am in Memphis, TN.. we have a large department and a very bad area for the most part. Are there bad cops, officers who shouldnt be here. Absolutely, just like there are UPS drivers who break stuff on purpose, McDs workers who spit in the food, Best Buy workers who steal, etc. The diffrence is the news media and public dont give a s*** about what they do. Enough on my rant.. ether you like police or you dont. There are only a couple reasons for ether side. If you like them chances are you know a few or you dont get in trouble so you have no reason not to like them. There are a few people who an officer has helped in a big way or even possibly saved their life. The ones who dont like us get pulled over quite a bit for speeding, wreckless driving ect. Those I dont mind because their dislike towards us is childish. Then there are the real criminals who dont like us because we mess up their money. The drug dealers, robbers, burglars, ect. They are the ones I worry about because they are the ones with little or nothing to loose and will kill someone to get away. Etherway officers have a job to do and depending on if you are the victim or the suspect will generally be what makes you like or dislike the officer you run into at that point in time. Please keep in mind what we do for a living so the next time you decide to get an attitude because you ran a red light or were speeding think about what he/she may have just seen or had happen to them on their last call.. we put our lifes in danger everyday for pennies and for people we dont know but other than for that moment and will likly never meet again once it is over. Would you risk your life for someone you dont know?

To say we dont care is disrespectful..

not to be disrespectfull, but maybe you and your other fellow good cop buddies should start kicking these"bad apples" tails. maybe if cops didnt stick together like glue and let the bad ones bring the good ones down maybe coppers wouodnt have such a bad wrap. what about all of this horseshit about upholding the law?????? shouldnt that apply to the cops that do wrong too.??? why dont the other cops that are good, bust on the jackassed moron cops that are out there giving cops a bad name. maybe if yall would fix your own damned problems instead of sitting around eating doughnuts and busting me for 5 miles over the limit cops might not have such a bad name.

yes im pissed with cops and seeing i dont know you, you fall into the stereotype with all of the others and i dont have a problem with it. i have yet to meet any one decent cop. fix your own shiat before you go defending your brothers in uniform, maybe then you would have something to defend.

not to be disrespectfull, but maybe you and your other fellow good cop buddies should start kicking these"bad apples" tails. maybe if cops didnt stick together like glue and let the bad ones bring the good ones down maybe coppers wouodnt have such a bad wrap. what about all of this horseshit about upholding the law?????? shouldnt that apply to the cops that do wrong too.??? why dont the other cops that are good, bust on the jackassed moron cops that are out there giving cops a bad name. maybe if yall would fix your own damned problems instead of sitting around eating doughnuts and busting me for 5 miles over the limit cops might not have such a bad name.

yes im pissed with cops and seeing i dont know you, you fall into the stereotype with all of the others and i dont have a problem with it. i have yet to meet any one decent cop. fix your own shiat before you go defending your brothers in uniform, maybe then you would have something to defend.

Unfortunately work place violence will get you fired. But that is why there are internal security squads. The guy who supposedly stole the $200.. they found out and relieved him of duty within hours of it happening. The other problem is you fire one and hire another.. it takes time to clear them out and it is a never ending process. Most times the "bad apples" only do their dirty work around other ones that do it to because they dont want to get caught. They may be POS but they are somewhat smart about it. We dont stick together nearly as much as you may think.

While I do eat doughnut, I love them acually but that was from before being a cop, I dont however write 5 MPH over tickets. Most times that is traffic enforcment units or highway patrols. If you are doing 10 or more over I dont even put my car in drive and depending on your attitude and driving record I normally dont write people for that. I will however use it to check someone and try to get some drugs or other big things.

My s**** not any that needs to be fixed.. I have never even had a peice of paper work come back. If all my "brothers in uniform" were fixed I would have nothing to defend. Not that I would defend them.. if you do something illegal you deserve the punishment regardless of who you are and what you do.

If I had to guess the reason you have never met what you feel is a decent cop is because you have a crappy attitude when an officer stops you so his cites you for every infraction he can. Nice guy gets a warning for 10-15 over alot of times, that or a ticket for 5 over so it gets dropped if you go to court.. south end of a north bound donkey gets a ticket for 10 over and his insurance and everything else gets checked and of any of it is messed up gets cited for that too. I have cited a guy for no proof of insurance when he was expired by 3 days.. he was a south end of a north bound donkey.

Edited by bnoland

ive met alot of cops in my day and trust me ive met some cool ones and some not so cool ones cuz i ride bmx and often get cops called on me and my friends

one time i knocked my teeth out falling from about 18 stairs straight to my face and a cop almost arrested me and gave me tickets cuz i wouldnt sit down and relax meanwhile my friend was the one who called 911 for the ambulance. i was in sooo much pain there was no way i was gonna lay down and sit still my front teeth were knocked out my top lip was almost falling off and i had road rash all over and was bleeding everywhere and he wanted me to sit still?

also im pretty jealous about the buddy system u have cuz i was street racing a couple weeks ago and got clocked in doing 125 in my jeep and the other guy got caught cuz he lost the race=] but he got off with nothing cuz his uncles a detective.

i want cop friends=[

ive met alot of cops in my day and trust me ive met some cool ones and some not so cool ones cuz i ride bmx and often get cops called on me and my friends

one time i knocked my teeth out falling from about 18 stairs straight to my face and a cop almost arrested me and gave me tickets cuz i wouldnt sit down and relax meanwhile my friend was the one who called 911 for the ambulance. i was in sooo much pain there was no way i was gonna lay down and sit still my front teeth were knocked out my top lip was almost falling off and i had road rash all over and was bleeding everywhere and he wanted me to sit still?

also im pretty jealous about the buddy system u have cuz i was street racing a couple weeks ago and got clocked in doing 125 in my jeep and the other guy got caught cuz he lost the race=] but he got off with nothing cuz his uncles a detective.

i want cop friends=[

I am not going to tell you it is all your attitude but alot of it is. I have caught people in the local racing stop and saw them race. I could have taken all of them to jail and towed both of their cars. The thing is that used to be me. I used to street race and when done safely it is pretty safe. The ones I caught racing.. I checked their license and insurance. I talked to them for a few min and sent them on their way. I had never met them. I had a lady doing 30 over.. I have the option to tow your car for that. She had a good license and insurance. I wrote her for 15 over.. is it a good ticket to have? Not really but it is better than walking home. I dont write alot of tickets but I work in south Memphis.. I have alot bigger things to worry about. If you dont have a warrent or a suspended license it is a shock were I work so if you are good with insurance I try to give people a break.. but it all depends on how you act towards me.

trust me my attitude is always respectful unless i know you well then i goof around but to strangers and especially cops im usually as nice as possible without being a total kiss a**. i meant no disrespect with this thread i was just goofing around a lil. but around here a lot of the cops are total d*** heads lol

Texasquest assuming all officers strech the limit of rights is what really made me mad. Most officers do not because we dont want to go to jail just like most normal people dont. Even if we did strech the limit of rights that is why there are District Attornies who have to approve out arrest tickets. Not to mention the Lt. and other superiors who go over our paperwork. The thread I think it great.. we have one on my local car club. Its the comments assuming all/most officers are crooked that make me mad. There are alot of dickhead cops.. I have run into them before I became an officer and after. Most officers are not though Edited by bnoland

by me theres a cop doing drug busts with a like 1990 sntra with ugly rims and body kit and a huge ricer wing half primer and half flack with bondo everywhere and fart can exaust with cut springs

and the z has the flashers in the headlights for super stealth and he used to bust people all the time for racing

yea people around here dont know there rights so they usually dont need warrants or some cops will just invite themselves in.

my friend had a cop invite himself in to his car take his keys and unlock the glove box and trunk but he didnt have anything so the cop gave him a ticket for driving with a juniors a week before his 18th birthday.

cops reason for pulling him over- a call for kids throwing fireworks out of a white car....... it wasnt even him and the cop stopped them in front of an abondoned house with the door kicked in and tried getting them in trouble for that somehow...... those cops were south end of a north bound donkeys lol

Large PD and SO departments have large budges and are self insured in that area.

On the topic at hand. Brand new F350 crewcab diesel, dodge ram, navigator, trailblazer, ect all with lights. There are also old crown vics on rims, pathfinder, tempo, ect all plan cloths car without lights and these change on a weekly basis.

Just to throw my 2.6 cents at this. I have seen this and been lured into it before. However, most cities do not have huge insurance policies and the idea is either the suspect will come to court and get it thrown out or they will take it up the arse and pay the fine. Point is if you feel wronged, go to court.

That being said, there are TONS of vehicles you dont know are cop cars. Our local DTF (drug task force) is running old 454 chevy trucks all the way up to "pimped out" Mercedes. Anything could be a cop car. I am actually working on getting the local PD to do my SQ up to represent them at shows and such (under cover SQ! FTW)

yea people around here dont know there rights so they usually dont need warrants or some cops will just invite themselves in.

my friend had a cop invite himself in to his car take his keys and unlock the glove box and trunk but he didnt have anything so the cop gave him a ticket for driving with a juniors a week before his 18th birthday.

cops reason for pulling him over- a call for kids throwing fireworks out of a white car....... it wasnt even him and the cop stopped them in front of an abondoned house with the door kicked in and tried getting them in trouble for that somehow...... those cops were south end of a north bound donkeys lol

And police dont need an invite to search your car or even permission, just probable cause. If the call was for fireworks and there was an empty candy wrapper on the pass seat.... probable cause. License plate light out... probable cause.

are you sure? cuz ive always read and heard theyre supposed to have a warrant

No warrant to search a car. All they need is probable cause. If they get a dog out and he alerts on your vehicle is enough to allow them to search it without your permission. If they shine a lite in and see a roach on the floor is probable cause to search. Warrants are for when there isnt enough probable cause to search, for instance to search your home looking for a harbored criminal needs a warrant. There are so many ways around warrants it isnt even funny.

Edited by DzNutz

what makes probable cause varies by local, but most places a warrant is required to search locked areas of the car like the glovebox or trunk. Generally, any area accessible to the driver in the passenger compartment can be searched with probable cause.

Of course if they find anything in the passenger compartment, getting a warrant for the locked areas is just a formality for an impounded car.

A little over a year ago I went out to get my mail and noticed some movement in an SUV parked two houses down. I stared it down for a bit and confirmed there was someone in it. Since I know all my neighbors vehicles and most of their family's vehicles I knew it was out of place and marched down the street. The SUV started up and reversed down the street to the next crosstreet and left. Turns out that SUV was part of the local drug task force and was surveilling a house on my block. What I'm trying to point out is that the "undercover" vehicles are really pretty obvious if you've got your senses up. You don't need to rev at everything on the street!

No warrant to search a car. All they need is probable cause. If they get a dog out and he alerts on your vehicle is enough to allow them to search it without your permission. If they shine a lite in and see a roach on the floor is probable cause to search. Warrants are for when there isnt enough probable cause to search, for instance to search your home looking for a harbored criminal needs a warrant. There are so many ways around warrants it isnt even funny.

If a dog hits on something that is probably cause.. no dog hit = no search. You have alot of rights in your car how ever PC is pretty easy to get but there has to be some evidence.. smell of a burnt firework would work in that case. A firework wraper. However BMX is right.. you cant just have your car seached at random with out there being some kind of evidence you may have been responsable. Hell, If I lock you up for driving on a suspended license I cant search your car without your permission. Unless, there is always an unless, we smell something that would lead us to believe there is an illegal item in the car or see something like a bag with some seeds or stems still in it or a container of alcohol etc.

I seached a guys car because he had a loaded mag for a semi auto pistol in the cup holder and found the gun that it belongs to under his seat. Seeing the loaded mag gave me PC to check for a weapon because it would be reasonable to think if he has a loaded mag in the car then there is likely a gun that goes with it. Had he not then no harm no foul.. however because he did and he did not have a carry permit he went to jail.

what makes probable cause varies by local, but most places a warrant is required to search locked areas of the car like the glovebox or trunk. Generally, any area accessible to the driver in the passenger compartment can be searched with probable cause.

Of course if they find anything in the passenger compartment, getting a warrant for the locked areas is just a formality for an impounded car.

A little over a year ago I went out to get my mail and noticed some movement in an SUV parked two houses down. I stared it down for a bit and confirmed there was someone in it. Since I know all my neighbors vehicles and most of their family's vehicles I knew it was out of place and marched down the street. The SUV started up and reversed down the street to the next crosstreet and left. Turns out that SUV was part of the local drug task force and was surveilling a house on my block. What I'm trying to point out is that the "undercover" vehicles are really pretty obvious if you've got your senses up. You don't need to rev at everything on the street!

Correct, the other way around that is if the vehicle is being towed because noone can come get it then we have to inventory the vehicle to make sure nothing of value is in the car and if there is we log it so the wrecker company can steal it and have noone know if it was there or not. The bad side of that for the person being arrested is anything we find during the inventory they can be charged with because we have a legal reason to be checking the vehicle.

The tricky thing is the "probable cause" or the "reasonable suspicion".

What are they going to "see" in order to grant them access to your property? Do you have drugs/bazookas/body parts openly strewn about your interior?

My faulty plate light is only good for the initial stop, after that there's really nothing they can do about refusing to give consent to a vehicle search. If they're legit anyways.

We have about every different type of undercover vehicle in wayne county, Im suprised I haven't seen a starquest lol. My first ticket ever was a scenario like some of you have mentioned, a gold camaro ss pulls up lets a few rips out, we take off from the light, hit about 80 (in a 40 zone), I pulled 5 cars on him lol then he drops back flicks the light as im crapping/puking im so scared, he ended up being pretty cool though only gave me 5 over !

Same situation on the freeway, a cobra blows by me and my buddy on 94, we take off to catch up soon as we do he drops back and flicks the lights.

Moral of the story is dont street race, you never know whats out there.

Edited by JAinsworth
skirting the language filter

The tricky thing is the "probable cause" or the "reasonable suspicion".

What are they going to "see" in order to grant them access to your property? Do you have drugs/bazookas/body parts openly strewn about your interior?

My faulty plate light is only good for the initial stop, after that there's really nothing they can do about refusing to give consent to a vehicle search. If they're legit anyways.

Very true.. I had one a couple weeks ago of a shooting suspect. On the way to the scene I saw a blue crown vic almost hit a guy on the side of the road so I turn around and check it out, there are 4 younger male blacks in the car. I am acually walking back to my car letting them go when the description goes out.. wouldnt ya know its 4 younger male blacks in a mid 90s blue crown vic. I intantly pull them over again and get other cars rolling my way. We pull them out, check them closer and the check the vehicle. We check the car and find a gun under the seat. All a good stop and check.. not the guys who did it though. They still went to jail because they were all under 21 with a hand gun in the car. The only way we knew there was no way they did the shooting is they had a little .22 with cheap lead shot rounds in it and the guy who got shot with something big enough it blew his arm off. With that though you are talking about a violent felony.. alittle more rights to check that than like you were saying with the fireworks. Here fireing of fireworks is just against city ordenance unless they were firing them at people.. even the that would be a streach to turn it into something.