Has anyone ever installed a remote starter? Got a question

89Steve

Got a nice remote starter and keyless entry for christmas and spent friday and saturday installing it all. Well it worked first try which made me real happy EXCEPT the parking lights are supposed to flash, which they don't. Guess I got the wrong wire. I tapped into the Green/White one behind the switch, all the others didn't seem to be affected by the parking lights. Does anyone know which wire will work for me?

Also, to anyone contemplating putting in a keyless entry (w/o remote start) its EXTREMELY easy to do on the quest. The relays next to the clutch pedal come down and behind there you can tap into the 2 wires that control "lock" and "unlock".

Do you leave the car in neutral all the time? I hope you never forget the car is in gear and hit the remote starter where it could possibly hurt somebody even if your emergency brake is on.

car is never parked in gear because of turbo timer, so i'm not worried at all about that

lol there was a Honda boy I heard of that parked in front of a row of bikes. He was across the parking lot and somehow the button in his pocket kept getting pressed and the car kept jumping forward and it ended up knocking most of the bikes down and he didn't even know it was happening.

Make sure your parking brake is on and working. I'd assume there was a parking brake interrupt in the wiring so that if the parking brake wasn't applied it wouldn't function but still you have to remember to leave it in neutral. If it didn't include a wiring diagram you can easily do that, same thing a turbo timer uses and its the green wire to the parking brake just remove the flip levers and pull that piece of the console up and you'll see it. You could also put the wiring to your remote starter in the stubby harness they give you for a turbo timer so you don't have to hack the stock harness, its about 20.00 and you unplug the ignition switch harness near the base of the steering column and plug this stub (about 3-4" long) harness in between.

Just search ebay "Conquest turbo timer harness" and you'll see them.

• 1 month later...

I did a remote start in mine. works awesome. unbolt the fuse block, twist it sideways, and pull it down. I believe the parking light wire is a black with a white stripe at the top right. just check it with a multimeter. one other issue!!!! it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a tach signal which is what the remote starter needs to stop cranking the engine. i would recommend using voltage check option and make sure the power source(that you connect the voltage check wire) is connected to the ignition harness. that will give the system a good read on whether it's running or not.

Got a nice remote starter and keyless entry for christmas and spent friday and saturday installing it all. Well it worked first try which made me real happy EXCEPT the parking lights are supposed to flash, which they don't. Guess I got the wrong wire. I tapped into the Green/White one behind the switch, all the others didn't seem to be affected by the parking lights. Does anyone know which wire will work for me?

Also, to anyone contemplating putting in a keyless entry (w/o remote start) its EXTREMELY easy to do on the quest. The relays next to the clutch pedal come down and behind there you can tap into the 2 wires that control "lock" and "unlock".

I did a remote start in mine. works awesome. unbolt the fuse block, twist it sideways, and pull it down. I believe the parking light wire is a black with a white stripe at the top right. just check it with a multimeter. one other issue!!!! it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a tach signal which is what the remote starter needs to stop cranking the engine. i would recommend using voltage check option and make sure the power source(that you connect the voltage check wire) is connected to the ignition harness. that will give the system a good read on whether it's running or not.

OK cool thanks I will check that wire hopefully it'll get it working. The system I bought has both the voltage and tach signal option, and it defaults to voltage. So the first time I clicked it it started right up and stopped when it was supposed to. Havent had a problem since. Voltage reading is DEFINTIELY the way to go.

Wouldn't install one unless it has an automatic transmission.

We have seen too many accidents and big liability suits due to unexpected accidents.

Just my $0.01.. ;)

You guys know they do make one's for manuals right? So it's not really an issue. It's only an issue if someone inistall one for an auto on a manual and leave it in gear.