What is it about the super cold?????

jettajody

I will start this off by saying that the other day I was idleing and this guy I know says. Hey bud, hate to give you the bad news but, do you smell that kinda of sweat smell from the exhaust. Sweat? It smells funky, kinda like it is running lean I suppose. He said, thats antifreeze, had 2 cars smell just like that before. I have a new head and head gasket [not done by me]. The car misses, surges a tad bit, boggy on intial take off, rpm stumble on occasion, ETC. There is no smoke period out of exhaust [black, blue, white]. Now when it is really cold out side like here recently. I start the car up and it idles at 1450rpm, and drops slowly at the proper speed. I drive off and she runs like a beast, smooth. No miss. No bogginess, nothing. Just raw power with what seems to be no problems until it is ran for a few miles then its back to the old story. I changed the oil the other day and it is puking from somewhere on drivers side block. I have redone the pan gasket and I no its not there due to the much higher level of wetness, meaning the leak is higher than the pan gasket. You guys have a clue on this! I have all the new basic parts including CTS. This thing is driving me nuts here!!!!

There are other ways coolant can enter the cylinders and be burned and maybe in quanity that can't be noticed by smoke. Spilled coolant even smells sweet if heated up it might be the radiator needs a bath or the block. Could also be the intake manifold gasket leaking about either water passage or either the gasket or oring in the throttlebody. That slight bit of coolant leaking at the throttlebody ends up in every cylinder so you can't pin point it by checking spark plugs. If its at idle, liquids will just end up laying in the bottom of the intake under the throttlebody and in the runners, you rev up and drive and its drawn into the cylinders. Have you considered those gaskets?

The oil leak, that might be the oring on the distributor or the cover plate for the upper shaft cavity.

Your driver's side oil leak could also be coming from you silent shaft chamber cover/plate. It might be loose or the gasket stsrted leaking for some unknown reason. I'd bet that the plate's fastener(s) is/are loose.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Coolant getting into the cylinders makes the exhaust smell like maple syrup. The other replies have told you what/how water can get into the cylinders - what to check for. To be sure though, monitor the water level in your radiator:

* Fill it to a reference point with the engine stone-cold

* drive normally for a few days

* when the engine is stone cold again, check the radiator water level.

If it's dropped at all, the water is going someplace... either into the overflow tank (and then onto the ground) if the engine is running hot or if the head/head gasket leak, allowing combustion pressure to blast into the cooling system. Or water is getting into the combustion chambers via the intake manifold gasket, injection mixer leaks, cracked head, cracked block, bad head gasket, etc.

Oil:

feel the bottom side of the distributor; if it's caked in wet grease/oil, then the o-ring between the distributor body and cyl head has gone bad. You'll find it hard as a rock - it'll seem like it's made of plastic, not rubber. Wet the new o-ring with a little oil before installing the distributor, then check/set the ignition timing with a timing light.

Below the intake manifold, and not really visible when leaning over the fender, is an oval shaped stamped metal plate held to the block by two small bolts. This covers a balance shaft chamber. The gasket on this plate can fail, the bolts can back out, etc. leading to leaks on that side of the motor. With the car jacked up and on jackstands, you can reach up and see if this is oil-messy. See if the bolts are loose at all. Then wipe down the oil... or use spray brake cleaner, Simple Green, whatever, to clean the side of the engine completely. Drive for a few days and then re-inspect. It's a LOT easier to identify oil leaks on a clean engine.

mike c.

Thanks guys, I will check all of these things on Saturday. Indiana, TBI has been rebuilt by me, and when they put new head on, they put a new intake gasket on. Mike C., coolant isn't dropping from radiator, but the radiator looks rough in and out, so IDK! The only visable coolant leak is the line going from T-housing to turbo [ rubber portion at clamps ].