car shakes, bucks all over the place

swifty

hello i recently got an 88 quest and when you go 30- 35 and it shakes like the whole car is falling apart, however you can drive through it and it goes away, the car has the powersteering pump disconnected and the steering box has no fluid in it, all the front end parts are tight. we pulled the drive shaft out and found the u-joints were bad, relaced them and it continues, anyone else have this same problem, if so give me some ideas, thanks

Bent rim or tire issue....mine did this years ago, it was a tire radial patch issue tires looked good but internally the wires shifted for some reason...it could not be balanced out..I replaced both front tires and it was smooth sailing... Edited by BrazilBoy

hello i recently got an 88 quest and when you go 30- 35 and it shakes like the whole car is falling apart, however you can drive through it and it goes away, the car has the powersteering pump disconnected and the steering box has no fluid in it, all the front end parts are tight. we pulled the drive shaft out and found the u-joints were bad, relaced them and it continues, anyone else have this same problem, if so give me some ideas, thanks

Well something is loose...I would look at the steering linkage again, in particular the steering couplers, idle arms...and the strut support arms (bushings and such)

Does it have old nasty tires on it and they don't match? Been sitting for awhile? Bad tires can do this. Unless a rim is bent really bad with new tires you might not feel a slightly bent rim. You can jack the car up and spin the tire and watch the outer diameter of it and the sidewall and see if it has a flat spot or something. Take it in a have the tires balanced and ask them.

well i checked everything in the front end and the tie rod arms, center link strut rods and everythign are ok, lug nuts are tight,anyone every have the same concern with something other than tires and front end parts. i mean the car was in a wreck on the right front but only enough to bend the hood and fender no biggy, do you think the steering box may be the cause?

Maybe the shocks are completely bad, but you can do a simple test - switch the front and back wheels. It'll look funny, but it might help you determine if the problem is a wheel or tire. Edited by Technology

I had something similar happen when I took my Starquest in to have the tires balanced, switch rims & sides.

The Mom & Pop place in Tulsa tire balancing machine was out of calibration.

My Starion rode smoothly when I took it in to 'em, BUT rode like I was on driving on logs at 45 to 55 MPH when I drove out. Took the Starion right back to 'em and they put each of the wheels on the balancing machine and I witnessed them indicating that they were in perfect balance and the rims were not bent. The owner took the Starion out for a test drive and came back and told me one of my drive shaft u-joints was shot or a tie rod end was worn out. I told him that I didn't have the vibration/bounce before I drove in but I had it when I drove out. I also told him that I was going to take the Starion to another place and have the balance checked.

I took the Starion over to a Good Year place and had them check the balance. The tires were really out of balance. I had them write down on company letterhead what the as found balance readings were on each of the wheels and paid to have 'em balanced correctly. She now rode like I was driving on a smooth plate of glass.

Took the as found readings back to Mom & Pop had the owner drive the car with me in it and got my money back.

I think that you have one or more wheels out of balance. ;)

For What It's Worth.

KEN