Vacuum Line Removal

i just need a pic of the vac lines and what all ones can be removed and where new ones will go because i will no longer have the egr setup or the secondary air cleaner or the cruise control but im leaving the vac pump unless i dont need it but i also need a pic of where my boost gauge will hook up, my mbc, vac advance and the basic stuff i need to make it run

i just need a pic of the vac lines and what all ones can be removed and where new ones will go because i will no longer have the egr setup or the secondary air cleaner or the cruise control but im leaving the vac pump unless i dont need it but i also need a pic of where my boost gauge will hook up, my mbc, vac advance and the basic stuff i need to make it run

is this what you need?

vac lines

ok justpaus i looked thru ur charcoal caister delete and stuff and it kinda confused me...do i need to tke it out cuz i dont have any vacuum lines runnin to it anymore plus i dunno what im supposed to do with the lines that are runnin off off it . i got my egr block off plate on the motor so i eliminated alot of vac lines. all i have now is my boost gauge, distributor, mbc, and my vents and air pump. ive heard it was bad to take out the charcoal canister and i noticed when i got this car the turbo pipes were oil soaked on the inside and so was the turbo. what can i do to end all of that stuff i want this car to run good. i paid 200 for it cuz the guy thought it was blown up and all it was the turbo was cracked but i went ahead and got a new njv head super16g turbo new downpipe and everthing so plz help Edited by Redneck55

ok justpaus i looked thru ur charcoal caister delete and stuff and it kinda confused me...do i need to tke it out cuz i dont have any vacuum lines runnin to it anymore plus i dunno what im supposed to do with the lines that are runnin off off it .

On mine, the vent line that runs from the tank to the charcoal filter has been shortened to where it hangs just off the side of the tank with a small breather on it. If you don't intend to keep it operational, you might aswell yank it and shorten the line.

i got my egr block off plate on the motor so i eliminated alot of vac lines. all i have now is my boost gauge, distributor, mbc, and my vents and air pump. ive heard it was bad to take out the charcoal canister

People have a "iffy" feeling about just venting the line and not having the motor pull it through with vacuum, for fear of a gas vapor buildup and such.. I haven't had any issue with it like this, and don't notice any more gas fumes than before I took it out.

Another possible issue is failing a smog inspection.. I'm speculating as I got around the testing, but there might be an issue with the gas cap test they run..

and i noticed when i got this car the turbo pipes were oil soaked on the inside and so was the turbo. what can i do to end all of that stuff i want this car to run good. i paid 200 for it cuz the guy thought it was blown up and all it was the turbo was cracked but i went ahead and got a new njv head super16g turbo new downpipe and everthing so plz help

The blown turbo puked oil and coated the insides of the piping. Just clean it as best as you can and flush the intercooler with mineral spirits several times until the liquid you pour out is clear again.. Don't hesitate to fill the IC up and let it soak for hours while shaking the crap out of it every now and then.

Once you get it sorted out, post up in the VM or AVM sections and we can make sure you've gone over possible issues before you start flogging on the car. ;)

• 2 months later...
There is a vacuum line coming off of the OVCP (over the valve cover pipe) going to the a port on the turbo wastegate, that's where your boost comes from and is not omitable ('86/'87).

i have an 86 and the vac line that is on my wastegate goes to a small black thing on the left aft wall of the car behind the TB. it has 3 vac lines that hook to it. there is nothing hooked to the ovcp. can anyone shoot me a link to the 86 vac diagram? thanks

randy

i have an 86 and the vac line that is on my wastegate goes to a small black thing on the left aft wall of the car behind the TB. it has 3 vac lines that hook to it. there is nothing hooked to the ovcp. can anyone shoot me a link to the 86 vac diagram? thanks

randy

The 86 diagram is pretty much the same as any other year StarQuest. There are only very minor variations between the 84-89 model year cars. The 83s have different throttle body vac ports (due to the 83's unique throttle body assembly) but everything else is the same.

The differences:

87-later cars do NOT have the firewall mounted pressure sensor and control solenoid - those small items mounted next to the power brake booster. 84-86 cars have a vac hose running from the throttle body (a port just above the "row of three" ports) going to the solenoid; a line from the solenoid goes to the pressure sensor. 83s probably have it too; I don't know for sure nor exactly where it taps into the 83's throttle body. That vac port on the 87-later throttle bodies doesn't have a hose nipple/pipe either; instead the hole in the throttle body is plugged.

On non-intercooled cars, there is a small vac port right on the turbo compressor housing (the silver end of the turbo) that connects, via a short little hose, to the wastegate actuator. Intercooled cars don't have the port on the turbo itself; instead it's added to the over-the-valve cover pipe roughly above the spark plugs. So it's a little longer (and heat shielded) hose is required to reach the wastegate actuator. The 88-later cars have a unique solenoid mounted to the air filter lid; this solenoid controls boost pressure to the 88-later style 3-port turbo wastegate actuator so the vac hose from the over-the-valve cover pipe goes to this solenoid first and THEN to the wastegate actuator via TWO hoses.

Them's the differences folks... :)

warthogtech: sounds like a previous owner decided to re-route the wastegate hose, stealing the boost sensor solenoid in the process. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find home-brew wires going to that solenoid... to a toggle switch inside the car that lets the solenoid pass boost pressure to the wastegate (i.e. almost like normal operation) or to totally block boost pressure from getting to the wastegate actuator for "unlimited" boost pressure (which =blown up engine) It's a lousy way to make a "manual boost controller." Use the vac diagrams on this site to get most of your car correct; somebody more familiar with the details of the 84-86 models will have to provide the details of the boost sensor and solenoid hoses though - I don't have diagrams for the earlier cars.

mike c.

• 4 years later...

Post supplied by 'importwarrier':

This is what i did for my Vac Line Delete my car didnt have AC and it was all removed.Also my car didnt have a charcoal canister underthe air can on passenger side. it was vented in theback near the gas tank. Also there is no BOV so this is absolutly the basic Vac line setup. I was hoping to ADD this to the topic in the Tech section.http://www.starquest...showtopic=28042 The Blue Hose goes to my Boost Gauge on dash. The Center is just blocked off. the Black Hose goes to the Distributor Vac Advance. Below the 3 in a row is the vac line that goes to the Foot FaceActuator for your heater controls. also note the last pic it is #4 if you have a BOV, T off of the Blue vac line shown in the 1st Pic. Thats It.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Quest_Parts_and_Info/IMG_1436.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Quest_Parts_and_Info/IMG_1437.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Quest_Parts_and_Info/IMG_1438.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/I-W/Quest_Parts_and_Info/Mani-Vac-Ports.gif

• Like 1