Cam options? Worth it?

traps

Thought this would be better in the newb then the advanced. So the engine rebuild is more extensive then expected due to wear.....Block will be more than likely bored, new head from good ol Dad that will have have some port work done, 14B turbo HP's and intercooler. So nothing crazy but I need a cam, I have seen debates on cams for this car and was wondering what ya'll thought in this mild street car.

well, as it is, it's a "slipper" cam which means there's a metal pad that slides along the lobe. Oil keeps it from wearing away, and there's nothing wrong with it.

The roller is a little wheel on the end of the rocker that rolls on the cam. The camshaft itself has to be specifically made to use roller rockers, which they did do in Australia for the N/A engines. No one has done dyno testing to prove that the roller is any better than the stock cam as far as performance goes. Maybe there is a benefit of longevity, but there are more parts in a roller rocker.

The stock slipper cam makes the car very torquey and "upgrading" will leave that torque on the table and substitute a little bit of power. I had a 274 on my car with the stock turbo, and going from stock to that 274, I lost 30 wtq from the peak and added 13 whp at the HP peak. not worth it on a stock sized turbo if you ask me.

I think the roller cams are noticeably smoother, I have one of Tim C's on my MPI car and an stock aussie on my flatty. Tech is correct that the stock profile is best until you enlarge the turbine.