1985 Starion ESI Help

RicanStar

So i finally got the car shipped from Ohio this week. Car drives but when i put it in second gear it kind of hesitates for about 10 second then takes off like nothing. When i put it in 3rd gear it does the same. Now i don't know anything about cars but to me seems like it could be the fuel pump or the injectors or MAF???? Any suggestions on where do i start?

A few more things i have found wrong:

Radio does not go on (Haven't checked the fuses yet)

Head Lights do not go down

Rear Hatch not good

Missing Antenna (Just ordered one)

That's it for now. This weekend i will check all the hoses and everything under the hood.

Are the vacuum lines original? If so replace.

And the distributor might need to be disassemble and re greased.

Both of those things can affect the spark advance/retard and cause hesitation like you describe.

Yes vacuum lines look all original. Is there a place i can order them all as a kit?

The distributor is where the spark plug wires plug into correct? Easier to just change it to a new one?

The rubber vacuum line can be bought bulk from a parts store or even better would be some silicon line from this gentleman. This is something anyone can do, but you do have to be a little careful when removing the old rubber from some of the plastic nipples. Its best to use a sharp knife to slit the old rubber along the nipple and then pry off. If you don't do that some of nipples are brittle enough that they'll break if you just start pulling like an madman. After you remove one piece of old vacuum line, cut a new piece to match the length, and replace.

It would be easier to buy a new distributer, but not cheaper by far. Replacing/regreasing the distributer is not the easiest thing if you are unfamiliar with cars and you will also need a timing light to complete the job.

I would say the pressure sensor on the firewall is not functioning. This can happen due to what Mike said, a vacuum leak. That link Mike gave didn't work for me?

• 1 month later...

Check the fusible links if your headlights don't go down. I had to take some fine sandpaper or Emery cloth as the contacts can get corroded or the they can come loose. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Slim Jim

• 3 weeks later...