finally

well, yesterday, i finally had the chance to install all 4 SHP struts on my 87 conquest. not only does this get rid of the cut springs i had on it before but i noticed that my old strut mounts were on the edge of complete destruction. i put new OEM strut mounts on the SHP just to be safe. sure the car rides 2.5 inches higher but now i can install my SHP rims on her and when the MK1 airdam is finally finished and installed, i wont have to worry as much. i set the adjustment knobs to 8 in the front and 7 in the rear. how do i know if they are functioning correctly?

too bad i can not drive the car now. while i was doing all the work, ATF was pouring out of the steering box. i do have another steering box out of a low mileage conquest and i have the power steering pump coming for it also off the same conquest. then i am going to order the braided lines from Oscar. when those arive i will probably have to pay someone to install it all. i was quoted 560.00 for the labour to do this but i figure i would not be able to do this myself so i am just going to have to buck up and pay the bill. too bad none of you experts were around me to help teach me the tricks for this car.

when thats all done i have the fidanza and ACT clutch to go in her. then all i have to do this year other than maintenance is replace the brakes. i am pretty happy with the car so far. sure it has cost me a little fortune and the wife hates the car because i spend soo much time with it but when i get her painted next year, i should have a pretty sweet ride. there is only about 5 starquests in my province and i have never seen a widebody driving on the streets. i like having a car that is unique. it doesnt have to be the fastest but as long as it is different, thats ok with me.

i just thought i would share my adventures with everyone.

chao4now.

since they are already on the car, set them to 1 and bounce each corner, then set it to 8 and repeat the bouncing. set on 8 it should be harder to bounce. get her fixed bro! :D

Edde

is the shaft seal easy to replace? i dont have much if any steering play. but because of the leak i ran the system low on fluid and now the power steering box appears to be leaking. if it is easy to get a new seal and put it in, i might just try that first.

how hard is it to replace the pump??

Edde

how hard is it to replace the pump??

two bolts behind the pulley (14mm),one bolt on the back of the pump (14mm) and the high pressure line and return line...20 minutes

Yeah the only challenge with the pump is working through the slots on the pulley face.

If you can separate the pitman arm from the lower shaft it should be a fairly simple matter to change the seal. Honestly tho, I did this so long ago... I can't say for certain if you can do it with the shaft in place -

I took the damned box apart so as to pull the shaft up out of the way. Big mistake. Lost a single roller bearing in the grass under my car. :hmm3grin2orange: Speaker Magnets FTW!

This was, of course, before SQC existed - or before I stumbled into it.