Spiffing up distributor - Beck Arnley or Airtex / Wells for cap and rotor?

HeroJr

Hey all!

I am back to working on my Conquest and am trying to wrap up some issues from late last Fall. I have a new cam and rocker arms in the car and I went back to the stock MAF. Things run so much better now! However, after all those changes, the car now seems to randomly die. It just shuts itself totally off. It is an electrical problem, because you can go back and try to turn the key and nothing happens. Unhook and rehook the battery and you can fire it up again. After about 20 minutes, it turns itself off again.

Anyway, first I am trying to "tune up" the distributor. I have pulled it off and will clean it up, and replace the cap and rotor. I could order those bits from RockAuto, or I could pick them up from a local parts store. The NAPA warehouse nearby had the Beck Arnley replacement cap and rotor in stock. When I looked on RockAuto, the Airtex / Wells parts were listed as the OEM replacement.

Does anyone have any recommendations for one brand over the other? I have read good things on this forum in the past about Beck Arnley, but I have also noticed that Airtex / Wells seems to be doing most of the reproduction electrical bits for the 2.6.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bobby

I would purchase the cap and rotor from autozone CR2205G. Its like $18 and its brass. Buying from rockauto can be risky. I purchased the standard CH406 from them which is supposed to be brass and they sent me an aluminium one.