Got external hard drive... won't spin :(

Edde

Make sure you are using a short USB cable for it. By short I mean a foot or so tops. A lot of times the drive requires more power than the USB port can provide with the resistance over a longer cable.

Did it just start doing this or is it new??

That clicking could mean the drive is underpowered, and usually finding the right USB cable and right USB port will fix it but you said it's got an external 12v supply.

-Robert

Did it just start doing this or is it new??

That clicking could mean the drive is underpowered, and usually finding the right USB cable and right USB port will fix it but you said it's got an external 12v supply.

-Robert

Yeah, not new. Mainly used for backups but has a partition I dumped some personal stuff onto that I'd prefer to have back again.

Grab a meter and check for 12 volts at the end of the plug

Yup, thought of that after your first post. Got 12.43 volts on the plug.

Haha, got lucky. Looks like your external drive case died. You can get a generic case on ebay or something if you want to external it again. I'd back up any irreplaceable data to a DVD or CD though. "Don't trust them new hard drives over there!"

-Robert

I had an enclosure fail a years ago too. Now days I just use one of these to pull data...

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-SATA-IDE-External-Hard-Drive-HDD-Adapter-/350469508352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51999c4d00

If you're gonna buy a new drive (to be safe) you might be better off to shy away from Ebay. I've bought a few there, but found that Newegg usually has prices that are attractive enough on bigger drives to make me buy new. You get a warantee that way too.

I grabbed a new seagate usb drive yesterday retail because I need fresh backups of the company books every day. Also needed to copy stuff from this drive somewhere not on my office machine. Looks like I'm covered for the time being. But having said that, how many copies of copies is too many http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif