Knock Knock... Machine Shops in Chicago area?

Forklift

Hi Guys, relatively new Conquest owner, picked up a stock 87 with 106k back in October and have spent most of the winter and spring getting it back in shape after sitting for 15 years with a bad head gasket. I've made a lot of progress: completely new steering (including redhead box) and front suspension, new clutch, rebuilt the rear axles, new CIFIC head with stainless valves from Dad, new cam and head gasket, all new fuel pump/cleaned tank/filters, rebuilt throttle body, new hoses/lines/belts throughout, rebuilt the calipers, new brakes, new front bearings, etc etc etc. Basically I've been getting it ready to do a handful track days this summer.

As of last week put about 100 miles on it, and was starting to hear some chattering and front engine rattle at idle; I tightened up the balance shaft tension which took away most of the noise, but thought i was still hearing a little bit of chatter under mild load (e.g. 5lbs of boost or less). I attributed it to noisy mechanical lifters (valve lash is .006 and .008 respectively), however took her out today and started hearing what I believe is some pretty loud rod knock at 1500-2000 under zero load. I pulled over, and saw the oil pressure gauge was right above the L peg. I killed the engine waited a bit, checked oil level (fine), and on 2nd or 3rd restart had middle gauge oil pressure again. I had replaced the sender about 2 months ago as the original was dead. Before I replaced it I hooked up a mechanical gauge and had 80psi on cold start, so never though I had an issue with oil pressure. The car even got a new OEM mitsubishi pickup o-ring when i previously dropped and baffled the pan.

All that being said, while I'm hoping that i just have an immense amount of chain slop (and just need to pull front cover and replace it all), or somehow have a really loud rocker, and that the oil pressure drop on the gauge was a fluke, I'm a realist and think i need to rebuild the bottom end.

I've already read Dad's rebuild advice thread a couple times, and I assume I can get away with just a short block rebuild since the head is brand new. That being said, does anyone have any recommendation for a trustworthy machine shop in the Northern Illinois/Northwest Indiana/Southern Wisconsin area with a good track record in this community?

Well maybe (hopefully) my original post was premature. I pulled the valve cover off and am seeing what I believe to be excessive slack in the timing chain that without much effort slaps against the side of the timing cover. I'd imagine this is too much play and could be an explanation for the knocking sound.

Here's a video of the knocking with windows down sitting in traffic: https://imgur.com/a/tgm9G5h

Here's a video of the chain slack: https://imgur.com/a/i9D8s49

Edited by Forklift

Since you said you tightened up the balance chain  I suspect balance shaft bearing failure.   That is what comes to mind first.  The timing chain has some slack until oil pressure pushes out the tensioner.   If indeed it's knocking  you will do more damage  by running it.

Dad

3 hours ago, Dad said:

Since you said you tightened up the balance chain  I suspect balance shaft bearing failure.   That is what comes to mind first.  The timing chain has some slack until oil pressure pushes out the tensioner.   If indeed it's knocking  you will do more damage  by running it.

Dad

ah you're right on the chain tension and oil pressure, forgot about that. I guess I need to accept the fact I need to pull the motor, have a look, and plan on doing a rebuild.

Edited by Forklift