psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well I figure it's about time that I started a resto thread for this neglected wonder. '87 K78 with 194k on the clock. I bought this off Dale (DMyers151) last november. As far as I can tell the body is straight and has never been pulled apart. Very minimal rust, especially for a northeast car.
The engine was out of the car when I picked it up but I don't think anything is terribly wrong with it aside from piss poor assembly. It apparently blew a head gasket almost immediately after rebuild. Torque specs anyone?? I have the engine tore down to a bare block and all spec'd out. Crank was turned is the only thing I don't really like. That and piston to wall clearance was a little on the high side. Hard for me to measure exactly but it's somewhere around 15 thou. So that will have to be addressed.  Paint is peeling and faded in a bad way all over the car. I plan to strip it down and give it a new golden glow.

Posted Image

The interior is in pieces but I think I have all of it. The seats were in need of some love so they got it. Leather cleaner and conditioner to the rescue!
Posted Image

Posted Image

I could see a bunch of funk in the wiper cowl so that had to come off. It was pretty cracked and beat up. All kinds of rodent leftovers in there.
Posted Image

Posted Image

But I didn't break the clips! :)
Posted Image

Started stripping the engine bay and gave it a once over with the pressure washer, not bad. All the brake lines and wiper motor/linkage are now out.
Posted Image

Last but not least, proof that Dale was here ;)
Posted Image

This is going to be a long term project but I'll be sure to update as I make progress

Edited by psu_Crash, 28 June 2013 - 09:16 PM.

'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
http://www.starquest...+golden +dreams
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

I like the title.  Good luck!
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#3 dmyers151

dmyers151

Go-Kart Mozart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
  • Interests:Toys & Candy

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm so glad you picked this up from me. It'd surely still be sitting in the corner if you hadn't.

Sorry I took it all apart, I got antsy. :(

#4 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

All Good Dale! That's just motivation for me to continue taking it apart and get everything cleaned up.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
The Valencia Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#5 starquestJOE

starquestJOE

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts
  • Interests:buy one buy EM ALL!!!!!

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

Great to see the car getting some love. I had my chance long before dale. But my car takes up all my time. ....    

Well I my be working on another one..........

IM STARQUEST 4 LIFE ....
88 tsi-80k one owner bone stock R88 unicorn
87 tsi - red - sometimes mine sometimes ryans
89 tsi-46k-red but not for long!!!
88 esi-r-white-SOLD
88 tsi white 61k-SOLD
89 tsi-black-rip
87 tsi-black/red-SOLD
88 tsi yellow sold
89 tsi white parts car
88 esi-r-black-RIP
87 tsi-somewhere in MD....need to pick it up
                    88and 89parts car...need parts???
          lookin for  RHD starion and part to convert to RHD
Posted Image

#6 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Any updates?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#7 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Not much to speak of. Just more cleaning of the engine bay and interior. I haven't had much free time to spend in the garage in a while. Hopefully this winter I will find time to really dive into it.
The Valencia Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#8 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Starquests shooting and hockey

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Any progress on the car?
1988 Starion ESI-R daily driver
1987 Conquest-restoring

#9 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

None really. I've been too busy (and broke) with taking some online classes and just life in general lately. It's resting in a safe warm and dry place though so don't worry, she will live and be beautiful one day. I'm just afraid it's going to take a while.
Any free time I've had lately has been put into the snowmobiles :)

Edited by psu_Crash, 31 January 2014 - 11:15 PM.

The Valencia Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#10 dmyers151

dmyers151

Go-Kart Mozart

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts
  • Interests:Toys & Candy

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Mike, we just closed on the house last week and are mostly moved in. Sorry it's taken me so long but I'll have that stuff out to you as soon as I can.

#11 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:50 AM

Well it's been forever since I really touched the car. I've been debating the 4G64/63 swap since i have a wideblock and all the parts here. I've also been thinking of a V8 swap. 4-500 reliable HP. Yes please.
Anyways I've been watching around a little for the past year and fell into a wrecked C5 vette. Inquired about it and well ...

Posted Image

$1500 for the engine with manifolds, starter, harness, accessories, all ignition ... etc. I couldn't say no!
Now maybe I'll have the motivation to work on this! As soon as the white car is done with racing season, of course :)
The Valencia Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#12 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 24 September 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

Well it's been forever since I really touched the car. I've been debating the 4G64/63 swap since i have a wideblock and all the parts here. I've also been thinking of a V8 swap. 4-500 reliable HP. Yes please.
Anyways I've been watching around a little for the past year and fell into a wrecked C5 vette. Inquired about it and well ...

Posted Image

$1500 for the engine with manifolds, starter, harness, accessories, all ignition ... etc. I couldn't say no!
Now maybe I'll have the motivation to work on this! As soon as the white car is done with racing season, of course :)

Well ... I have also toyed with the idea of doing a 4G63 swap in my car since I am well versed in 4G63s, so since you found some corvette goodies, let me know when you want to sell that wideblock! :D

Can't wait to see you get underway with this car!

Edited by techboy, 24 September 2019 - 12:13 PM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#13 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,219 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

I can't wait either! Probably next week I'll round up the 4G swap parts and inventory what's there. Definitely ready to get that stuff off my shelf and out of my way
The Valencia Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users