Seasoned advice "buyers guide"

stealth

Hi im new to the forum and a little unfamilar with its set-up so doing a search hasnt given me enough info. So hopefully you can help.

Is there a buyers guide for the conquest/starion. Ie what to look for, avoid, most favorable options, year popularity, problems area, make sure its has this done, production numbers with colors ext and interior.

Ive done some googleing but havnt found one, a lot of points here and there. Im a little bit straped for time as i am looking to buy my first one as i post and want to make sure im not getten taken for a ride...grin. Its an 87 conquest.

If there isnt one maybe we someone can start one or at the very least reply with some advice for a potential new buyer.

All info appreciated,

cheers

88/89 were the creme'de-la'creme.

Cloth interior is more desirable over the leather ( rare believe it or not )

89 Starions are the rarest

any blue, gold or grey color is hard to find/rare

Blues: Fiji Blue, Atlantic Blue, Baltic Blue

Golds: Palermo Grey, Valencia Gold

Grays: Shetland Beige, Olive Grey

Tan interior is also desirable. So are sunroof cars ( though some people don't like them ).

humm - problems are most electrical on the cars - 87s had ETAC problems, but that's easily resolved with a recall/replacement ETAC ( there's a service bulletin issued for it with the part# needed ) - the issue was it would drain the battery is left sitting for a few days etc - easy fix.

That being said - check for fluid leaks on the cars, especially oil - check the oil, coolant, compression test, shaft play on the turbo, and any odd sounds while test driving it. These are really a simple car to be honest.

Where are you located? I'm sure a more seasoned member, if in your area, will be more than glad to go along with you to prevent you from being shafted.

Edited by Fanta

How mechanically inclined are you? If you know how to run a compression check on the motor I'd start with that. Check for rust on the rear quarters, frame rails(underneath) and the panel that runs beneath the doors.

Like Fanta said, the 88/89 had a few upgrades that make them a bit more desirable, but if you go with an 87 (most popular year) the troublesome plastic knock box can be upgraded. Then if you're looking to bring it above stock the ECU can also be upgraded with a little work.

These cars are at least 20 years old, so A LOT usually has to be replaced or rebuilt. Personally I would go in making sure nobody hacked it up real bad. Make sure wiring is in tact and all peices are there.

What color is the car, what body condition is it in, and how much is he asking? Any work done to it?

Perfect info, others please chime in.

Im no stranger to older cars but know nothing about these cars. I live in Canada and have never seen one in person or have had buddies who have had one. The seasoned owner around me seems to be the guy i might buy the car off of. These cars are very very rare in Ontario.

The car in question, a gold widebody with black leather 5 speed with seeming no mods done. Does need a paint job but from the pictures car looks solid (guys says orginial paint). 95K. Does not have sunroof or electronic dash. He is asking 2000 as is. As i do not know which question to ask him yet the specific details are vague so far.

The car is 4 hours away so seeing it in person requires me to have my homework done before i go.

cheers guys

Perfect info, others please chime in.

Im no stranger to older cars but know nothing about these cars. I live in Canada and have never seen one in person or have had buddies who have had one. The seasoned owner around me seems to be the guy i might buy the car off of. These cars are very very rare in Ontario.

The car in question, a gold widebody with black leather 5 speed with seeming no mods done. Does need a paint job but from the pictures car looks solid (guys says orginial paint). 95K. Does not have sunroof or electronic dash. He is asking 2000 as is. As i do not know which question to ask him yet the specific details are vague so far.

The car is 4 hours away so seeing it in person requires me to have my homework done before i go.

cheers guys

Check the frame rails for salt damage. Gold widebodies are very, very hard to come by. If the car drives with little to no issue, and there isn't a lot of rust, well... I hate you then.

Where about's in Ontario?

the 88/89 had a few upgrades that make them a bit more desirable, but if you go with an 87 (most popular year)

Are these important upgrades (besides the ECU which increases boost = more power, b/c IMO thats important one...grin). Are all these upgrades interchangable with the 87...ie the SHP (all i know so far, is SHP just rims and struts or is the rear end different)

Sorry I have so much to learn, but im a quick learn.

Not sure if i want to tell you...maybe ive already said too much...lol

Oh don't worry, I live in Georgia. I just asked because I was born up in Kapuskasing, and have a granny in Sudbury.

( ... can you fedex me some ketchup chips? )

Edited by Fanta

my advice is don't buy one of these unless you are mechanically inclined or know a good mechanic.

Maybe i misrepresented myself and the question. I have been fixing/restoring cars for a long time (its a hobby, but im not a mechanic)...right now i have a 94 twinturbo stealth, two 95 Taurus SHO and now possibly a conquest all cars that are not for the faint of heart both in power and repair.

I am looking not so much on how to check general things like turbo shaft play, compression, brakes good and what not but area's that show up to be a problem which are very hard to restore or replace.

For example, if you were to buy a Stealth the vinyl on the door panels within curves starts to pull away..repairing is out of question without full interior redo and finding good door panel replacements is no easy task due to it being a common problem. For the SHO they rot at the back door rocker panel kinda under the ground effect...an area where most people may miss.

Thanks to Fanta who said that gold cars are rare...this is unique to these cars and something not easily determined by a newcomer. The passenger frame rails seem to be a bad spot. Rocker and rear wheel wells but that pretty common on most cars. Something to do with the knock box but i have had time to figure out what this is.

So i did not intend this to be should I buy thread...

If i do buy one what are the parts that are problemmatic, rust areas that are hard to notice or fix and which parts is it next to imposible to replace so make sure there good on your car.

Cheers to all who have given some comments already...

Edited by stealth

Dude, if it runs and doesnt have very much body rust I'd be all over it..gold ones are real hard to come by. Frame rails are the biggest thing, then rear wheel wells. Other then that there aren't many hidden common rust areas. If the seller is positive it will make the drive back, I'd say you should talk him down to 1600 and then drive it home with a big smile on your face cause you just scored a gold widebody.

As for the knock box/ecu upgrade it is all definitely doable. Not even fully neccessary to be honest. But a solid upgrade. Keep us posted on how the deal works out...

Does the car run? can it make the 400 mile drive?

These cars are very easy to work on, I didnt know jack about cars till I bought mine and started to tear it apart, with help of members here of course.

See the link in my sig to what I had to fix on mine

2K US? Sounds nice, for that money it better run.

The most common things people do to these cars is remove the ABS system, straight exhaust, remove secondary air filter.

Lots of other things, lots of these cars didnt have great maintenance and need a lot of replacing.

Check out this site here, has pretty much everything that needs to be repaired.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewforum.php?f=12

Another thing...be sure there isn't a ridiculous amount of play in the steering wheel. That coupler isn't too easy to replace. But again, doable.

Pfft, I just had jahjah weld mine :lol:

The knock box issue is an easily fix. How bad is the frame rust?