Rear differential fluid question

apedog

Why not use Royal Purple? Its god.

I guess you can use any gear oil of high viscosity that has a friction modifier.

If you want to notice a great improvement, I can only recommend RP. You only change the diff like ones every 50k. Whats an extra $25 to spend every 3-4 years?

Why not use Royal Purple? Its god.

Ahah funny.

I use Mobil1 Synthetic.

Factory manual says replace every 15,000 miles for 1986. But in 1988 they changed it to every 30,000.

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

hmmm, I was told 75w140 and 50k...

w/e

RP 4tw

I tried that light truck gear oil and found it was too thick. I used it in my tranny and diff. what I found was the gears were noisy until I had driven it for a mile or two, which lead me to believe it was so thick that it needed to be warmed up before it started working...I use Mobil1 75-90 with Sta-Lube Equa-Torque LSD additive and never had a problem since.

I honestly cant remember what viscosity I used for my tranny and diff.

I used Royal Purple gear oil for both based on what the folks at RP told me and what people said here. I know for a fact that I used 75w90 for the tranny and whatever higher viscosity RP has for the rear diff.

All I know is my shifter stopped shacking after RP, much better shifting.

Its nearly clear and it doesn't stink. There is nothing to "add" to it, it was made ready to go. They also have regular gear oil, meaning not for LSD and it has no friction modifier added. Only the Conquest manuals tell you about the friction modifier, the Starion manuals tell you to use this. Mopar wants to you to buy their fluids and their additives and Mitsubishi wants you to buy their fluids. Who made the car?

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/DIAQUEEN%20lsd%20oil.jpg

Edited by Indiana

• 2 weeks later...
I dont meen to butt in or thread jack or step on anyones toes... Two things I was told to use was Pennsoil Syncromesh for the tranny and any brand of 75-90 synthetic gear oil for the diff. as long as it has the friction modifier in it, if not you have to add that... How accurate was that info that was given to me? This info was given to me based on the year of my car which is an 88. Edited by NewCONQUESTowner